PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how can i activate my wireless device ?

quised
August 20th, 2010, 08:38 AM
hello everyone,
i am new on linux and i am trying to understand how its works i have hp mini note netbook and i install ubuntu 10.4 for netbooks after long long work and minutes i connected to internet by ADSL but i dont know how to activate wireless device ?

when i left click to the network connections at the top i can only see the wired network. and when i right click the same button i can see enable networking and enable notifications where is the enable wireless button ?

i opened the hardware devices and it writes my wireless card (broadcom STA wireless driver) and at the and writes this driver is not activated finally i click to the activate button, and there is a error message (SystemError: Failed to lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock)

this is my problem i will be very happy if somebody fix the problem.

Thank you

Jaxco
August 20th, 2010, 08:59 PM
you'd be better off using MiE from HP instead of ubuntu netbook remix, i never could get my wireless to work under UNR but mie is a light ubuntu (literally) with all necessary drivers. here is the download link from hp. it has a drive image creator for use under windows or linux. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3860346&os=2020&lang=en#N799

alevin46
August 21st, 2010, 04:51 AM
Hello Friends........

There should be a switch on the front of the laptop, on the edge. It should be a swich that is two-directional. There will be some pictures, one with a computer, and one with a computer with some waves coming out from it. Switch the switch to the side of the computer with the waves, and you will activate wireless internet. Follow the on-screen directions and you will receive the internet.

Thanks