PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] RAR File not opening

gpdas
August 20th, 2010, 08:12 AM
How to open RAR file in Ubuntu 10.04? Any help will be highly appreciated.

lombaardcj
August 20th, 2010, 08:50 AM
If are using Nautilus, you can right click on the rar file and say "Extract here".

If it can't extract the rar file, check that you have the following package installed:

p7zip-full

I use this package cause it provides an array of archive type extraction such as rar, 7z and tar.gz.

If you feel comfortable using Synaptic, Search for "rar" and you will find a multitude of packages to help you out.

Shout if you are still stuck!

gpdas
August 20th, 2010, 11:29 AM
[SOLVED] Thanks a lot. Now I am able to extract RAR files.

lombaardcj
August 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM
That's so cool!

I'm glad you came right.

Pat on my shoulder. I officially helped my first fellow Ubuntu'er.

jeannacav
October 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM
If are using Nautilus, you can right click on the rar file and say "Extract here".

If it can't extract the rar file, check that you have the following package installed:

p7zip-full

I use this package cause it provides an array of archive type extraction such as rar, 7z and tar.gz.

If you feel comfortable using Synaptic, Search for "rar" and you will find a multitude of packages to help you out.

Shout if you are still stuck!

I wanted a rar file today and since I saw this help, I decided to give it a try.

I downloaded that 7zip from the software center and after I did that, first of all, I could not find it anywhere, however the software center could see it, and still can.
Synaptic seems to not see it either.

So, I downloaded the rar file and I get:

"Could not create the archive... archive type not supported"

and, I tried to open it with something else, and this 7zip did not show up as a choice there either.:confused:

So, I would love some help.

thank you,

jeanna

Oh btw, I am using lucid lynx on an acer5515 if that matters.

gpdas
October 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Go to Ubuntu s/w center. In the search box type rar.
If 7zip is installed in your system, it will show a tick mark in the green cicrcle.
Also below that RAR RAR compression/Uncompression tool should also be installed.
If this is so, then you must be able to open RAR files.
Good luck.

jeannacav
October 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM
@gpdas,

Thank you.
I guess, the rar was not installed.
I have them both now, but I trashed the rar file itself last night, because my computer was running extra slow after I downloaded it and I wondered blah blah...

I'll try downloading the rar file again and report if there are still problems.

Thank you,

jeanna