PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] KDE changed my Firefox fonts. How to get back?

Roasted
August 20th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I installed KDE on my Ubuntu laptop and then got rid of it. I used puregnome which worked but I still have weird fonts in Firefox. I tried adjusting the preferences in Firefox but nothing works. How can I revert it back?

LOL. I did a fresh install (but kept my home directory) and it made no change. I also removed the .mozilla folder entirely and uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox. No change.

How can I get this back? I'm a little annoyed at the way Firefox looks now with these KDE fonts. :(

lovinglinux
August 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure if it will work, but try to rename the file ~/.gtkrc-2.0 to something else or delete it.

Roasted
August 21st, 2010, 10:06 PM
Deleted it. No change.

I need my fonts back. This KDE font sucks. :(

Ms_Angel_D
August 21st, 2010, 10:15 PM
I never understood why kde mixed with gnome messed up the fonts so bad, because when you install straight kubuntu they look much nicer same as when you install just ubuntu with only gnome. Something about the mix is just bad.

try removing ~/.fonts.conf then rebooting and see if that makes a difference.

Zorael
August 22nd, 2010, 12:30 AM
To get KDE to display GTK apps well, you really need the ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 theming that kubuntu-default-settings adds. Installing this will likely change your bootup logo to Kubuntu's though, so expect that. (You will obviously need kcm-gtk as well.)

You get all those packages when you install Kubuntu, but if you're just trying to install minimum-level KDE packages you'll have to fix it yourself.

Whenever you change font settings in KDE, it first saves the changes in the normal KDE settings file ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals that all KDE and KDE settings-aware programs read, and then also saves basic font settings (autoaliasing, hinting etc) in ~/.fonts.conf, for apps that don't have good KDE integration. What I guess is happening here is that the .fonts.conf settings transfer to your GNOME session. So, delete or rename it.

$ mv ~/.fonts.conf ~/.fonts.conf.bak

Roasted
August 22nd, 2010, 02:04 AM
To get KDE to display GTK apps well, you really need the ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 theming that kubuntu-default-settings adds. Installing this will likely change your bootup logo to Kubuntu's though, so expect that. (You will obviously need kcm-gtk as well.)

You get all those packages when you install Kubuntu, but if you're just trying to install minimum-level KDE packages you'll have to fix it yourself.

Whenever you change font settings in KDE, it first saves the changes in the normal KDE settings file ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals that all KDE and KDE settings-aware programs read, and then also saves basic font settings (autoaliasing, hinting etc) in ~/.font.conf, for apps that don't have good KDE integration. What I guess is happening here is that the .fonts.conf settings transfer to your GNOME session. So, delete or rename it.

Bam! Winner! Thanks for the help guys.

sineau
May 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Whenever you change font settings in KDE, it first saves the changes in the normal KDE settings file ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals that all KDE and KDE settings-aware programs read, and then also saves basic font settings (autoaliasing, hinting etc) in ~/.fonts.conf, for apps that don't have good KDE integration. What I guess is happening here is that the .fonts.conf settings transfer to your GNOME session. So, delete or rename it.

Just wanna say thank you. I teared google out and found nothing. Just renamed ~/.kde and ~/.fonts.conf and now everything's ok (I don't need KDE anyways, it looks like a spaceship)

blauendonau
May 27th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I found this solution to be very useful as well, thank you. A lot of people are running dual DEs nowadays after being disappointed with Unity, so maybe this could be added to a Firefox sticky somewhere?

OM NOM NOM
September 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Many thanks for this. Was absolutely tearing my hair out trying to figure out a way to reset the fonts. MUCH better :-)

gippeswyc
October 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM
what he said :)

Roasted
October 24th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Wow - good to see other users are finding it useful. I had completely forgotten I even posted this.

Marked as solved. :guitar:

Fende
June 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM

This solution has worked for me with version 12.04. Thank you very much.