PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering, do you use any devices on Ubuntu?

LinuxFox
August 20th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Just a topic I thought of after thinking about my old digital audio player. Anyway, I have an old Coby digital audio player I got in 2007. Surprisingly it still works, and even though the manual states Windows and Mac, it works great with Ubuntu. Just loads up as a flash drive, and I drag and drop music to it. Plus adding an is_audio_player file adds Rhythmbox support for playing music. 8)

So does anyone here use any of their devices on Ubuntu or any other Linux distros? I'm curious to see what other devices are compatible with Linux. :)

tjktyler
August 20th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Barnes and Noble's nook works with Linux (Official support!) because it just mounts as an external drive. Plus, calibre supports the nook (along with a ton of other eBook readers). And the Motorola Backflip (an Android phone, so I would assume OTHER Android phones work, too) works in much the same way. And my Zune technically mounts, but I don't think I've been able to play music, and I've never thought of trying to copy music over. (By devices, I'm also going to assume you meant things like audio players and readers, not mice and keyboards)

LinuxFox
August 20th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Barnes and Noble's nook works with Linux (Official support!) because it just mounts as an external drive. Plus, calibre supports the nook (along with a ton of other eBook readers). And the Motorola Backflip (an Android phone, so I would assume OTHER Android phones work, too) works in much the same way. And my Zune technically mounts, but I don't think I've been able to play music, and I've never thought of trying to copy music over. (By devices, I'm also going to assume you meant things like audio players and readers, not mice and keyboards)Yup, that's what I meant, things like audio players, readers, and other devices like that. Though I'm surprised that the Nook supports Linux officially. It's not everyday you see a company device supports Linux.

tjktyler
August 20th, 2010, 05:22 AM
The nook is also Android-based, I believe. So I'm sure devices based on Linux will run on Linux. And lots of hardware supports Linux even if they don't advertise it on the box or materials. The one exception is my notebook mouse, a Logitech M305. Support for Linux kernels 2.6 or greater. And lots of Logitech devices run, even if it's community driven. Like the new C910 webcam? Cheese'll capture hi-def. And the MX Revolution has support from btnx. Play around with stuff. You'll be surprised what you find and what you learn.

handy
August 20th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I recently acquired a Nikon D90, camera. Unfortunately Linux doesn't like the way Nikon formats the SD card so that puts paid to me trying to use the available Linux software for working with my photos.

OS X; the other side of my dual boot, had no problems reading the SD card. So I'm thankful that I wasn't put in the position where I had to go back to windows to handle my photos, which would certainly have been a bitter pill to swallow after being windows free for 5 years.

Austin25
August 20th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Well, use it with the micro SD card in my NDS.

uRock
August 20th, 2010, 05:46 AM
My Sony MP3 player works great with Ubuntu and unlike Windows, Ubuntu allows me to go through folders on it and download any music that might have been deleted from the HDD.

chriswyatt
August 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM
My Hauppauge USB DVB Tuner worked out of the box, I just needed to install MythTV. My Creative Audigy 2 NX sound card also worked in Linux, it did need me to change some configuration files to make it default though.

finnbuntu
August 20th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I use my BREW phone (3 Skypephone S2), which works but not as it should. You can access the microSD card fine (the phone acts as a card reader) but you can't sync contacts, the calendar or access the inbuilt memory. The driver runs only in Windows XP :mad:.

Johnsie
August 20th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I use my HTC Desire with it and it works pretty well.

Spice Weasel
August 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I use...

1. HP Photosmart C5280 - Works out of the box.
2. Seagate Expansion Drive @ 1TB - Works perfectly since 10.04 (OOTB).
3. Freecom Classic SL @ 250GB (Old backup) - Works perfectly since 10.04 (OOTB).
4. Logitech Headset - Works perfectly since 9.10 (OOTB).
5. Philips GoGear - Works perfectly out of the box.
6. Microsoft Xbox Controller (!!!) - Has worked perfectly OOTB since 9.04.

These all work with any other modern distribution I throw at them.

RiceMonster
August 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I use my Cowon D2 audio player and HP printer on Linux. Both work great.

tjktyler
August 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I recently acquired a Nikon D90, camera. Unfortunately Linux doesn't like the way Nikon formats the SD card so that puts paid to me trying to use the available Linux software for working with my photos.

That's odd. My Nikon D60 plays nicely with 10.04. It even plays nicely with Nikon's RAW format. I just had to make sure I had the GIMP plugins for it, and it worked just as well, if not better than, Photoshop on Windows. Heck, I can even open the RAW files in Shotwell.

samalex
August 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
I think everything I've ever plugged into my laptop has worked:
- HP PSC Printer (scanning and printign worked great with zero setup)
- Sony Cybershot Camera (about 2 years old)
- Olympus Camera (about 10 years old)
- Kensington webcam (yup, the old gray one)
- Various keyboards and mice
- Fisher Price camera for our kid works great

I have several expansion cards I used to run in Linux, like an Hauppauge WinTV capture card (don't remember model), various modems, network cards, SCSI controllers, etc, but given I have a laptop and haven't ran a desktop in years most of these are boxed up.

Actually thinking back the only thing I couldn't get to work outta the box is our TomTom GPS. Linux would see it, but I couldn't get the TomTom software to work under Wine. It runs on Win XP through VBox.

Sam

LinuxFox
August 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I use...

1. HP Photosmart C5280 - Works out of the box.
2. Seagate Expansion Drive @ 1TB - Works perfectly since 10.04 (OOTB).
3. Freecom Classic SL @ 250GB (Old backup) - Works perfectly since 10.04 (OOTB).
4. Logitech Headset - Works perfectly since 9.10 (OOTB).
5. Philips GoGear - Works perfectly out of the box.
6. Microsoft Xbox Controller (!!!) - Has worked perfectly OOTB since 9.04.

These all work with any other modern distribution I throw at them.A Microsoft Xbox controller, now that's something. 8) I have yet to try my gamepad with Ubuntu. I have an old InterAct GoPad.

Printers on the other hand, never tried it, though I have an old Lexmark printer. It's hooked up to another computer. It also has Ubuntu installed.

The other computer also has a webcam, might as well go play with it getting it to work. :)

fluxbuntu
August 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
The Ubuntu HCL is a good place to look. And I encourage everyone to join and put their hardware on there. Every piece of hardware I have that either works or doesn't gets put on there.

http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/

Spice Weasel
August 20th, 2010, 04:21 PM
A Microsoft Xbox controller, now that's something. 8) I have yet to try my gamepad with Ubuntu. I have an old InterAct GoPad.

I know! I was so surprised that it worked, and in every single distribution that I tried it in. :o

Cavsfan
August 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have
1) HP C3180 all-in-one that works fantastic.
2) Nikon coolpix s70 that works great - it treats it like another drive.
3) 2 different brands of MP3 players that work great.
4) Phanton GreenDrive 1TB USB drive that works very well.
5) Headphones with mic works well.

I think that is about all I have and it all works well.

I printed something yesterday and was amazed at the quality.

LinuxFox
August 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I know! I was so surprised that it worked, and in every single distribution that I tried it in. :oThat's awesome it works in other distros. Speaking of controllers, I got my InterAct GoPad to work. Just played some SuperTuxKart, it not only recognized it, but played quite well. 8)

I also got the webcam to work on the other computer. All I did was install Cheese from the Software Center and it worked without anything. Plus it's a Microsoft webcam.

fluxbuntu, thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out. Nice to see a database of hardware that works in Ubuntu.

MCVenom
August 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Motorola Droid, HP Photosmart All-In-One, and a Gravis Gamepad Pro USB for some Super Mario World hacks I've been playing recently. :)

neoargon
August 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I use my Nokia phone to connect to internet using GPRS . Connection can be made either via Usb or via Bluetooth . Pretty impressive that I don't have to install any extra drivers or tweak any settings

handy
August 21st, 2010, 03:04 AM
That's odd. My Nikon D60 plays nicely with 10.04. It even plays nicely with Nikon's RAW format. I just had to make sure I had the GIMP plugins for it, and it worked just as well, if not better than, Photoshop on Windows. Heck, I can even open the RAW files in Shotwell.

Thanks for your reply. :)

I was getting an error unknown file system, when I inserted the card into the USB port via an adapter.

I thought I'd have another look at the situation later & you have prompted me to.

I found that I must have misunderstood the info' I read on the web re. setting my system to automatically mount the card when inserted. (I use Arch/Openbox & do so much via the dirutil Worker, which has to have its buttons manually configured.)

Anyway It didn't take me long to realise that /mnt/sdb really needed to be /mnt/sdb1 & now I have easy access to the card & could use Worker to quickly view the images that it held. :D

My next problem (photographic that is) is that I have been looking at Lightroom 3, (under OS X) & I'm astonished at just how complete a system it provides for the photographer. It is so fast it is ridiculous! I'll have to see if I can get it to work under Wine, which would be great, as I find it hard to work with OS X, as so many of the fonts are way too small for my eyes on my 24" monitor.

Thanks again for providing the motivation. ):P

Khakilang
August 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Just got a Seagate 250gb external hard disk which state only for Window and Mac and have Window drivers install uses NTFS file system and it work. Wireless keyboard and mouse. Sadly for my Lexmark all in one printer. The printer works but not the scanner. I had to use Window XP in Virtual box for scanner.

midden
September 5th, 2010, 08:45 PM

OS X; the other side of my dual boot, had no problems reading the SD card. So I'm thankful that I wasn't put in the position where I had to go back to windows to handle my photos, which would certainly have been a bitter pill to swallow after being windows free for 5 years.
I have a Nikon D90 and have no problems importing photos into Ubuntu 10.04 (I am using a USB card reader).

VCoolio
September 5th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I have a lot of devices working; the sd card in my phone (alcatel) to put music on or rip photos from; my camera (lifetec); usb stick (SanDisk); external hd (digiconnect & verbatim, I recommend the latter but both work). Learn how to mount stuff in case you run into authorization problems some time (or use pmount) and you're good.

Austin25
September 6th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Arduino.

murderslastcrow
September 6th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Some old Walkman's with mini-CDs work great, my eyeToy works great as a webcam, and I own a lot of media devices and bluetooth stuff that 'just works'.

To be honest, the surprise comes when something doesn't work, and I send the company an email about helping developers or making drivers.

The most common case, until now, of a lack of hardware support is Apple. Now they're well supported, through us. But other than Apple, there is no manufacturer that really makes it so hard to get things working, and usually they make it to just work on Linux, and even the PS3, anyway. "If it has a USB slot, people should be able to work my device," they think.

The majority of devices are not made by Apple. They are, however, the most advertised as they have multiple markets that are popular with young people. To assume these issues are common among devices, rather than among people, would be preposterous.

So yeah, long story short, the times when devices don't work with Linux is when I'm surprised.

scouser73
September 6th, 2010, 01:09 AM
My Bluetooth dongle works as does my LG Viewty + my iPod Touch.

sideaway
September 6th, 2010, 02:09 AM
HTC Desire. Works well. Can even copy/paste files over the wireless to it.