PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Questions Hangs During Netbook Installation

wolvenhold
August 20th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Hi,

I have just picked up Ubuntu after thinking how bad windows is for a long time.

I am trying to install it (10.04 Netbook Remix) on my HP Mini netbook from a USB, but I have a problem. During the installation process I get to the selection of the keyboard layout (question three) and the it just freezes after I make a selection.

I've trawled around the forum a bit, but I couldn't seem to find an answer, although a few people have had the same problem.

Any help would be vastly appreciated, I am rather excited to be up and running with Ubuntu.

Redblade20XX
August 20th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Is this a fresh install or did you over write windows?

wolvenhold
August 20th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I am planning on overwriting windows.

wolvenhold
August 20th, 2010, 01:05 AM
A bit of further rreading into people with the same problem seems to suggest that I would be best off using the 9.10 Netbook Remix instead, because that one seems to work.

Am I missing out on anything if I do this? Or is there an obvious fix for the 10.04 problem?

wolvenhold
August 20th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I really could use some help...

Lorcanmac
September 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
I'm having the same problem. Can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I'm also keen on getting up and running with Ubuntu but if it's this much trouble to install or to find a solution to a problem I may just stick with Windows.

heartburn22
September 25th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I'm having exactly the same problem on my Toshiba NB205. After selecting a keyboard layout, I click forward, and the installation just hangs there with a wait cursor.

bbsimonbb
October 16th, 2010, 06:06 PM
same problem on a compaq n311. No answers seem to be forthcoming ?

bbsimonbb
October 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Ok well, crazy problem. The 4gig key would hang at the "prerequisites" screen - internet connection, power source etc. Repeating the same steps with a 2gig USB key has let me finish the installation. No insights as to why this is the case.

Avidon
October 23rd, 2010, 12:15 AM
I was getting the same problem as reported here - keyboard selection screen hanging when clicking next (USB install of ubuntu netbook remix 10.04).

After being completely stumped by this problem for ages, I decided to try an experiment.

I clicked next on the keyboard selection section, as normal, only this time I quickly pulled out the USB stick just after clicking - and it worked! I got to the drive formatting screen! I quickly plugged the USB stick back in and continued the installation as normal without any other problems!

Hope this helps!

Avidon
October 23rd, 2010, 12:17 AM

SteffenH
November 21st, 2010, 01:55 PM
Had the same problem. My solution (without pulling out USB or similar):

Repartition your pen drive so it only has a 1 gig partition. Then select this partition when creating the bootable drive.

Shoudl work fine.

Tyndarus
July 29th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Had the same problem. My solution (without pulling out USB or similar):

Repartition your pen drive so it only has a 1 gig partition. Then select this partition when creating the bootable drive.

Shoudl work fine.

confirmed, this method works.
Used it to instal ubuntu netbook 10.04 on medion akoya where i first encountered the stuck on keyboard layout problem.

Thank you SteffenH