PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help! 10.04 Monitor Issue

draegoonscythe
August 19th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Hi All!,

I just recently installed 10.04 on my HP computer (HP dv6-2066dx). All was working fine last night, and when I closed the lid of the computer it went into suspend. This morning when I opened up the lid all I saw was a black screen (I don't think the screen was powered though; just dead). It sounded like the computer was accessing the HDD for a few seconds, then all I got was the num-lock and caps-lock LEDs blinking on-and-off in unison. I forced shut-down the computer, and tried to power it back on, but I saw the same dead screen the same LED blinking.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can resolve this issue??

Thanks!

louieb
August 19th, 2010, 06:01 PM
1st check for a dead screen - boot with a live CD - do you get a display?

sanderj
August 19th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Easy: connect an external monitor, and make sure output is sent to the external monitor to check that the computer is booting at all.

Regarding the notebook's own screen:
I would remove the battery, replace it after a few minutes, and then boot again.
Is there nothing on the screen, not even the BIOS messages?

draegoonscythe
August 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
That is correct. Not even the BIOS shows up...

sanderj
August 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM
That is correct. Not even the BIOS shows up...

And my external monitor suggestion ...?

Zelandeth
August 19th, 2010, 06:59 PM
First thing I tend to do with any laptop that's playing up for no readily explainable reason is to unplug the battery and the mains, and hold down the power button for 20-30 seconds.

More often than not, when the battery's put back in and power is restored, normality is restored. Generally much to the surprise of the sceptical looking owner of the machine standing next to me!

Worth a try at least.

draegoonscythe
August 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM
All,

Thank you for your support in the matter. Took out the battery, cleaned off the leads, and put it back in. System was back up and running smoothly.