PDA

View Full Version : Lin-App: Commercial Linux Applications

PuddingKnife
August 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Check out this site, its pretty cool.

I didn't know there were so many commercial apps -- some of the games look really nice!

From the site:

What is Lin-App.com?
The Lin-App.com Web Site is a free, categorized and tagged on-line information service of various commercial applications and games for Linux.

We are aiming to connect the potential users and manufacturers in a clear and an easy way by collecting, categorizing, tagging, listing and describing a wide range of commercial applications and games for Linux, in one place.

http://lin-app.com/

scottuss
August 19th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I'm not convinced that this is a good thing. Building lots of infrastructure on top of a Free software stack seems like a slippery slope.

Look at Android: sure, for the most part it's underneath is "Free" but the stuff on top, like 3rd party apps are not. In conclusion, Android is NOT an Open platform, it's used as a marketing buzzword.

I ditched my Android handset because of this. I don't want to have to ditch Ubuntu for the same thing (I say Ubuntu instead of Linux generally because I think if there's one distro that is likely to become the "next Android" it's, Ubuntu)

PuddingKnife
August 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I hear what you're saying, but Linux will always be free. If someone can take that core and make a profitable business out of it (i.e., Android) then more power to them; it will help to make software giants take Linux more seriously as a contender for commercial software, and one small step toward fixing Canonicals number 1 bug.

DownTown22
August 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
It's nice to have a resource like this for commercial software.

If it's high-quality software, I have no problem paying for it - such as Bibble or Lightzone.

earthpigg
August 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
nice website, thanks for the heads up!

neu5eeCh
August 19th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I hear what you're saying, but Linux will always be free. If someone can take that core and make a profitable business out of it (i.e., Android) then more power to them; it will help to make software giants take Linux more seriously as a contender for commercial software, and one small step toward fixing Canonicals number 1 bug.

Totally agree.

And I was just going to ask if anyone uses Nero on the Linux side? Used it on the Windows side but not so much to justify the cost. I don't burn CDs (music) anymore. If anyone uses it, I would be curious to know why and the advantages.

So far, I've been using FOSS software to accomplish much the same - mostly for ripping my own CDs.

Also, anybody use SoftMaker Office (terrible, terrible name)?

Austin25
August 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Well, I hope there will always be free-software development, as well as free-software repositories.

Nick_Jinn
August 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Some of the stuff here looks good, especially the games. I think people should open their mind up. As long as the OS and the platform is free (unlike Android), I have no problem at all with being able to add modules and installers for paid open source software like games. There is nothing wrong with kicking a few bucks towards an Indie developer who makes a game or useful program. There is nothing wrong with having a software store either. As long as the base free system is no less functional because of it, I am all for it.

Paul820
August 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM
There are still a few things lacking in linux for some people, so if there is a version they can purchase then i think that's great. There will always be free software, just look at the amount of free software for windows.

sataris
August 19th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I'm not convinced that this is a good thing. Building lots of infrastructure on top of a Free software stack seems like a slippery slope.

Look at Android: sure, for the most part it's underneath is "Free" but the stuff on top, like 3rd party apps are not. In conclusion, Android is NOT an Open platform, it's used as a marketing buzzword.

I ditched my Android handset because of this. I don't want to have to ditch Ubuntu for the same thing (I say Ubuntu instead of Linux generally because I think if there's one distro that is likely to become the "next Android" it's, Ubuntu)

orly?

That is saying you are evil for wanting a paycheck every 2x weeks. That is also like stating that if you dont convert all your music to OGG, you are supporting the man. ](*,)Android app devs contribute apps and receive compensation.

Paid programs come with direct support, and an reasonable expectation of quality. if that expectation isnt met, you can get your money back. The support does not come in the form of forums. Now i know Canonical provides (paid) ubuntu support, but any 3rd party app is unsupported, unless it is in other forums.

I'd prefer quality, over a free app any day.

I want things to work. If there are good apps in the market, that are paid, I will more than willing to support them with my monies.