PDA

View Full Version : what Ubuntu NAS server appz are you running

lopperbug
August 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM
This thread is to get inspiration to what appz ppl are running on their NAS servers.

Here is a list of appz that I run on my server:
-Samba
-Rtorrent/Rutorrent
-Apache/PHP
-mySQL
-vsftpd
-iSCSI target
-OpenSSH
-Virtualbox headless

Please submit the appz you are running on yours NAS.

fatality_uk
August 19th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Please understand the difference between a file server, an application server and a NAS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

lopperbug
August 19th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I know what a NAS server is but people start out to make a file server (NAS) and then add more services to the box!

Don’t care about what people call there box but right now the buzz word is NAS!!!

handy
August 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Your question is ambiguous to the point of being incorrect.

You need to be more careful with the definitions of the words you are using.

As far as NAS is concerned, I used FreeNAS for well over a year, via NFS on my LAN. As a system it served me perfectly.

I stopped using it for no other reason than the machine I was using it on is an Athlon64 3500+, which was using far more electricity than I wanted to.

Currently I use a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, with one 1.5TB drive in it for the purpose of system backup. It is also a torrent slave, a job it does very well. Since it uses only 4W of electricity at idle it is a very cost effective NAS/torrent slave solution.

lopperbug
August 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I can see that the thread question is not that good.

My server use 27w in idle.

Its a supermicro x7spa-hf, ubuntu run on usb pen and there is 4*1TB drives in the box...

Johnsie
August 20th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Acting as a NAS using Samaba is one of the purposes of my server. The other apps I have on there are:

-apache2
-postgres
-a server for a racing game I used to play
-irc
-I had 3 shoutcast servers running off it but I took them off. I think that either they or the game server were using too much memory and causing the whole server to crash
-Oh and some mail sever

aeiah
August 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
i dont have a server but my main desktop serves these to the LAN:

daap via firefly
upnp via mediatomb
vsftpd
nfs
deluged

CharlesA
August 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Samba and SSH for the moment. Running VMs when I get around to it.

lopperbug
August 25th, 2010, 12:56 PM
need to try out the mediatomb on my box thx!