PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can i remove kde's programs in Ubuntu ? how ?

Vahids
August 19th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I don't like KDE's program (like Amarok or Vlc or kaffein and any KDE's program) cus i think KDE's programs are mane argument to slow down speed of my ubuntu.

I'd rather a absolute gnome's environment without any KDE efficacious.

I'd rather to remove all KDE's program from my source.list if possible.

Sorry for my Eng and Thanks.

nbkr
August 19th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Removing it from the sources.list is not necessary and not possible. You don't specify applications on the sources.list, but repositories. Those repositories contain most of the software that can be installed.

As I said, that _can be installed_. That doesn't mean all those software is installed.

If you want to remove an application you can use the command
sudo apt-get remove name_of_the_software or the Software Center.

Vahids
August 19th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Removing it from the sources.list is not necessary and not possible. You don't specify applications on the sources.list, but repositories. Those repositories contain most of the software that can be installed.

As I said, that _can be installed_. That doesn't mean all those software is installed.

If you want to remove an application you can use the command
sudo apt-get remove name_of_the_software or the Software Center.
well ,
How do i know about programs, that be a KDE or GNOME ?

for example
"Mplaye or VLC or Gimp" Which one is Gnome and which one is KDE ? and how do you know ?

nbkr
August 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
MPlayer and VLC are neither part of the KDE Project nor do they use KDE libraries. Gimp makes use of the gtk-libs which are also used by Gnome. So that would make it a Gnome application - or at least a more "gnomish" application than the rest.

Figuring out if something is a KDE application isn't so easy. You will have to look at the dependencies to find out if the application needs anything KDE related.

oldos2er
August 19th, 2010, 08:12 PM
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

AHoneybun
March 24th, 2011, 03:07 AM
ok so the xubuntu worked for me but kubuntu installed with just KDE listed on the session list so I don't think it will work but I will try it, thanks.

EDIT: the xbuntu remove command removes all of it kubuntu and xubuntu packages too.