PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Question about Desktop background?

hakermania
August 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Well, When I change Desktop background, the location to the image I choose have to be written somewhere, to a file e.g. ...

So, if I edit this file and set an other path to an other image the Desktop background will change hopefully...
So, where is this file?

mcduck
August 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
It's one of the gconf's XML files in ~/.gconf, but you shouldn't really change the file itself manually. If you want to change the wallpaper from command line or from a script you can use the gconftool command.

Edit:

Here's an example:

gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename "/home/mcduck/Pictures/wallpapers/ubuntu.png"

hakermania
August 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Thankssssssss pre-installed ! CooL

chitowner2
August 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM
FYI, you can choose any image you like for a background. I have a (growing) collection that I keep in a known folder. When I find a new image I want to use as a background (aka "wallpaper"), I just add it to that folder.

Do a right-click anywhere on open desktop area, go to desktop settings, navigate to your established background folder and pick one.

The only thing to remember is: if you change the path to your backgrounds folder, you will lose the desktop display, so choose a path accordingly.

CT