PDA

View Full Version : The UK Government Wants To Save Money?

asddf
August 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM
The UK Government is asking for suggestions on how it can save money.

Their websites:

http://spendingchallenge.hm-treasury.gov.uk/

A couple of Linux suggestions are on there, but have no support behind them.

Swagman
August 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Stop sticking our beaks in stuff that's nowt to do with us (Different countries affairs)

mkendall
August 19th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Eat the rich?

Grenage
August 19th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Sacking corrupt, fraudulent politicians - rather than just telling them off.

Swagman
August 19th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Sacking corrupt, fraudulent politicians - rather than just telling them off.

They'd be no-one left !!

Vincentlaborant
August 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I would love to rate the stuff, but I am not a citizen of the UK. I live at the other side of the North Sea (Netherlands) so I do not think it would be a good idea to rate the stuff.

The UK has, just as my country (the Netherlands) a huge amount of government officials that are just sitting there. In the Netherlands, the policital factions that are trying to form a coalition want to fire at least 10% of them. But first the labour rights of those ****** have to become equal to workers in the private sector, so these people can actually be fired (which is now impossible to do).

Next, transforming the IT infrastructure to open standards (ODF, PDF) and opensource software (OpenOffice, Linux distributions) is also a easy way to safe money in the long run (something that needs to happen here too). I configured a old notebook of my with open source software that would do all the things that current government computers can do. This includes exchange mail, sharepoint features, publisher features, productivity suite, webbrowsing and web applications.

I gave this notebook to my father, who works for the Dutch government. I have not heard anything about lacking functionality till now. So, if it works here, this should work in the UK as well.

eriktheblu
August 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Decriminalizing self defense might produce savings in law enforcement and the medical system. Of course I highly doubt the UK is interested in this Yank's opinions.

Cuddles McKitten
August 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM
The only instance I can remember a government voluntarily scaling itself back in a serious way was Argentina right before it declared bankruptcy. It'll be interesting to see if the UK is the exception.

fatality_uk
August 19th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Great!! These jack asses get elected and then want US, the great British public to tell them how to make cuts to OUR standard of living and increase OUR taxes!! GENUIS

Well quite frankly they can take this idea, print it out on STIFF card, roll it up and shove it up the.......

Elfy
August 19th, 2010, 04:47 PM
and with that thread closed.