PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a new laptop

Cant
August 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Is the Acer Aspire 7540G-504G64MN any good?

Oppermongo
August 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
In my opinion, Acer isn't any good at all...
I've had too many problems myself and heard from alot of people across the world about problems with Acers, which made me decide to not buy one again.

It would be helpfull if you good give some info on what you would like to use this new laptop for and what your budget is, there's a lot of difference between a simple laptop you use for checking your email once in a while and an alienware gaming laptop ;)

Personally, I'd look at an Asus, they're powerfull and pretty reliable.

Cant
August 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
In my opinion, Acer isn't any good at all...
I've had too many problems myself and heard from alot of people across the world about problems with Acers, which made me decide to not buy one again.

It would be helpfull if you good give some info on what you would like to use this new laptop for and what your budget is, there's a lot of difference between a simple laptop you use for checking your email once in a while and an alienware gaming laptop ;)

Personally, I'd look at an Asus, they're powerfull and pretty reliable.

Yeah, I'd be using it for a bit of gaming (Sauerbraten) and schoolwork. The price range would be around 150.000 ISK (~1250 USD?). I agree with you about Asus, I've been using this one (Asus A6000) for three years now without a problem.

Bachstelze
August 19th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Get a MacBook.

Cant
August 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Get a MacBook.

No.

mörgæs
August 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/ is a good first place to look.

I have good experience with running Ubuntu on Dell.

rahul27
August 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Linux drivers for Acer are quite easily available.

Trinity33
August 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM
dont buy acer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is rubbish !!!!

i had 3 acers the latest one i paid 450£ it was 2 years ago and it was acer 5735 in general acer laptops have problem with heat so theyre useless.

i dont know where do you live but the best latop i ever had is msigt725 and im very happy with this one it has q9000 ddr3 and atihd4850 500gb hdd

i bought it 6 months ago

there is other alternative if you live in the UK buy Advent gx8555 or gx7555

it has the same spec as msi the same mother board the same cpu the same hdd the same ddr and graphic and it cost 400£

msigt725 and advent gx7555 or gx8555 those are best latops u cant use it to play games and do whatever u want to u dont need dektop pc anymore.

i use it for the last 6months have both on my hdd ubuntu lucid and win 7 i played games on it was watching sky tv and till now never had even one little problem with it

andymorton
August 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM

Hi, I know a few people who have had lots of problems with Acer laptop, particularly with the chargers not working. The wires in my girlfriend's Acer laptop have broken and the screen now goes completely white.
I've never owned one myself but from what I've heard from other people I'd stay away.

andy :)

Cant
August 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
...i paid 450£...

Well there's your problem.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

Starlight
August 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Wow a coincidence :O This is exactly the same laptop that I've bought a few days ago! I have Kubuntu and Windows 7 on it, both are working well, and so far I haven't encountered any problems at all with it. It even looks rather nice, so I'm very happy with it :)