PDA

View Full Version : Sleep patterns

kaldor
August 19th, 2010, 09:27 AM
When you have no school/work/etc for a while, what kind of weird sleep patterns do you get into?

There's no work around here, and school doesn't start for a long while yet. I've been spending too much time awake and not enough time sleeping, (I'm a coffee addict) and now it's finally caught up to me; one night I ended up staying awake until about 11:00 AM and fell asleep until 6:30 PM. Sad to say, that's now my regular pattern.

Part of it is due to the fact I enjoy nighttime more. This has always happened when I am away from scheduled tasks.

Others must be the same way :)

Note I'm posting this at 5:57 AM; the equivalent of an afternoon to me right now ;)

TheNerdAL
August 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Haha, yeah, I used to sleep during most of the day and be awake at night on the computer. :lolflag:

I'm trying to get back to my sleeping schedule since school starts on Monday but I woke up earlier and couldn't go back to sleep. Maybe because I am hungry. :P

Cant
August 19th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Right now I'm working on a farm and my sleep patterns are very regular. When I start school I start staying up for a longer time for no reason.

julio_cortez
August 19th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I used to stay awake until 3 or 4 AM then sleep until 12 PM when I had nothing to do (e.g. summer holidays and so on)..
Now I work 5 days a week so my sleep pattern is something like 11 PM - 7 AM (in the cases I'm out at night during the week, it can be reduced to 1 AM - 7 AM or even 2 AM - 7 AM but it happens really, really rarely).

Friday night and saturday night are still 4 AM - 12 PM anyway :D

NightwishFan
August 19th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I am required to be awake at odd times, so I get sleep when I can. Generally I ensure I get at least 2 hrs at a time. I usually can manage more just that is my minimum.

Oppermongo
August 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Last year, I had like 3 hours of college a day, so I stayed up till 3 or 4 am to play online (Since I'm in Europe, most gamers are online at night ;))
then vacation started...
And my pattern usually was staying up till 6 am, falling asleep till 2pm and then starting it all over again :p
Then I was home alone for a while, with all my friends either on holiday or still studying for exams and I slept like 4 hours every two days o.O (I remember seeing the LOTR extended edition, about 12h, in one long run...)
but since I'm working now, things got better and I'm back to a somewhat regular pattern :D

handy
August 19th, 2010, 11:11 AM
I suffered a severe head trauma due to a MVA about 28 years ago. It severely disrupted my sleeping pattern (amongst other things).

Overall I don't sleep anywhere near as much as I should. I go through various patterns of sleeping. Some are better (though still crappy) than others. For nearly 4 years now I have been in a not so good one (though I have experienced worse but they didn't last as long), where I am getting only 4.5 hours, 3 hours, or no sleep per night with very few exceptions.

The problems that I have found sleep deprivation brings with it are accelerated degradation of memory both short, medium & long term, & a lessening of intellectual abilities.

You also become more of a zombie; slow witted & basically boring as can be in social situations. Which is a reason why I like forums, as the speed of reply is generally not an issue. :)

The effects of insomnia as described early in the film "The Fight Club" are valid in my experience.

Like everything else, the value of sleep increases dramatically with its need.

chriswyatt
August 20th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'm unemployed so I've found I've been getting to sleep later and later, I naturally do that if I don't set an alarm clock in the morning. I had to stay up all night and the next day to try and get my sleep pattern back in order, it seemed easier than trying to wake up early. Also I drink lots of tea, coffee and occasionally quite a bit of alcohol and I don't think this helps with my sleep either!

NCLI
August 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Having a girlfriend has forced me away from my unusual sleep patterns :(

RiceMonster
August 20th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I couldn't stand sleeping like that. How do you go out and do anything when everything is closed and everyone else is in bed? I remember sleeping in untill 11:00-12:00 every morning during summer vacation when I was 15-16, and I hate that because it feels like a huge portion of your day is gone.

Spice Weasel
August 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Go to bed - ~3:00 AM
Get up - ~1.00 PM

:lolflag:

kaldor
August 20th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I couldn't stand sleeping like that. How do you go out and do anything when everything is closed and everyone else is in bed? I remember sleeping in untill 11:00-12:00 every morning during summer vacation when I was 15-16, and I hate that because it feels like a huge portion of your day is gone.

Small towns suck. Unless I have plans to see friends in another area an hour's drive away, there's not much else to do.

Toronto > Rural Newfoundland.. I think that's where you live :)

del_diablo
August 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I got a default of going to sleep roughly 6 in the morning, and waking up 3 in the afternoon.
Sadly I can not under current circumstances sleep in my sleeping pattern, school and work is in the way of it.
I am not sure if I am looking forward to school in 3 days, at the least I will have to get up before I am suppose to sleep accourding to my body.
This year will be like the last: Painful.
I will have to go and sleep early in the evening, but I will have a physical need of sleep before another 8-10 hours, and I will as a result sit there dumbfound and attempt to fall asleep while being fully awake.

I really envy you people who have regular sleep patterns, or can actually change the sleep pattern, I am stuck with a defect one(and I will just on night shifts on the first oppertunity after I am done with school).

Little Bones
August 20th, 2010, 05:20 PM
School starts again for me on the 30th (5 day camping trip, should be fun). But I've been pretty consistent in going to bed around 12:30-1:30am and getting up around 10:30-11:00am.