PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing without BIOS

addmanrcace
August 19th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Okay, I've installed Ubuntu on my laptop but due to a very stupid problem, I cannot use a keyboard at all until Vista loads up. In other words, I can't select to start Ubuntu. Is there any other way?

addmanrcace
August 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Anyone have any thoughts?

efflandt
August 20th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Is it a video issue or is your keyboard just unresponsive until an OS comes up? Does your computer have PS2 ports and can you get hold of a PS/2 keyboard?

What sort of keyboard and mouse is it. Maybe you somehow need to get into CMOS set up and set USB to Legacy or Auto (something different than it is now).

blur xc
August 20th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Can you reset your bios settings? I'm guessing you farted something up that killed your keyboard- dunno what though. No experience really w/ laptops...at least w/ laptop hardware.

On my desktop the mobo has a setting to enable usb keyboards and mice in the bios, and w/o that turned on, my usb keyboard would not work until the os booted up- which made making selections at the grub menu a bit difficult. It's also got a jumper labeled bios reset- power down and unplug machine, then jump pins w/ screwdriver to reset to factory default settings.

Good luck.
BM

addmanrcace
August 21st, 2010, 04:29 AM
No, it was a big problem with a driver update and over-heating on an Acer laptop. Either way, I got it fixed and am running Ubuntu now. Any tips and tricks I should know? Right now I'm trying to figure out how to access my windows files (pictures) in Ubuntu.