PDA

View Full Version : An LOL while stuck in a Hotel with Windows 7

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 19th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I'm in a Hotel a long distance from home. I couldn't login to the Hotel Wifi using Ubuntu/Firefox. I had to use the OEM install of Windows 7 that is still on the disk, just in case, smething like this happens.

I was looking around the Windows 7 OEM install, and found "Sample Pictures" folder. I LOL'ed when I found a picture of 3 penguins standing in a circle in that folder. It reminded me of the pictures of three people in a circle representing the Ubuntu Logo.

:lolflag:

I will not post the Microsoft copyrighted picture here; however, here is a link to it on another website...http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:gu9Rdj-P7VYAQM:http://blog.kirb.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/penguins.jpg&t=1.

Imagine looking down on the penguins from above.

Edit: Yes, I'm bored.

Austin25
August 19th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Ouch. Windows 7. Facepalm.

You should contact the help desk and tell them they're not being platform independent.

NightwishFan
August 19th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I am curious why you were unable to connect.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 19th, 2010, 04:23 AM

Likewise, it has been my experience that Ubuntu connects even in situations where Windows or MacOS cannot.

kaldor
August 19th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Likewise, it has been my experience that Ubuntu connects even in situations where Windows or MacOS cannot.

I've had times where I had to use other people's computers because I needed IE in order to browse the net. Such as in a "community access program" wireless network; IE6, IE7 or IE8 only. When I mentioned it to them, they said it would take too much effort to support other browsers. I said "how much effort did it take to make it so I require IE to browse the net when connected to your network?" Reply was "I dunno"

NightwishFan
August 19th, 2010, 04:31 AM
That is seriously uncool if that is the case. In most places I just hit 'home' and it shows the page you need to accept before you can browse.

earthpigg
August 19th, 2010, 04:39 AM
That is seriously uncool if that is the case. In most places I just hit 'home' and it shows the page you need to accept before you can browse.

Ditto. Perhaps the sign-up or agreement page "requires" some form of Silverlight DRM? Like with netflix, but even more unnecessary and obnoxious.

kaldor
August 19th, 2010, 04:44 AM
The agreement page was (very) basic HTML with only a white background and black text and an Okay button.

Nothing IE-dependent.

Newfoundland's technology department is horrible. I know people who use Windows 98 as servers in school networks.

juanclunac
August 19th, 2010, 05:18 AM
why dont you try using the IE on Ubuntu/Wine, well it may work. just maybe :S

Giant Speck
August 19th, 2010, 06:44 AM
why dont you try using the IE on Ubuntu/Wine, well it may work. just maybe :S

Trying to use Internet Explorer in WINE is probably the only thing that can possibly be worse than using Internet Explorer in Windows.

Khakilang
August 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I would put Window XP in Virtual box just in case.

lisati
August 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Could be worse: I went to my local hospital for a caridac checkup a couple of years back. One of the monitors was running XP. I made a comment to the staff about not giving me viruses, but I think it went over their heads.

Frogs Hair
August 19th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Even MS suggests not using IE 6 & 7 anymore , but I have encountered web-sites that require some version of IE to access them. I recently installed Firefox on windows 7 and if use IE8 for a download it automatically resets its self as the default browser. I dislike the fact that I can't remove the program , but it is my choice to use Windows so I'm stuck with it until IE9.

Swagman
August 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Could be worse: I went to my local hospital for a caridac checkup a couple of years back. One of the monitors was running XP. I made a comment to the staff about not giving me viruses, but I think it went over their heads.

I'd be more concerned over a BSOD

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM

The purpose of the post was the Penguin photo. However, to address your question without an answer...

Well, I am back at the Hotel on the 470 Kbps connection. I don't really know what the Hotel is using for the login page. When you connect to their network it takes about 30 seconds before there is a notification message that asks you to click it to log in. Once clicked, IE opens with a login page.

I asked at the front desk of the Hotel; as expected, they didn't know anything about the network.

I tried running IE in WINE...Didn't work.
I tried Windows in a VM...Didn't work.
I gave up and used the OEM partition of Windows and it worked.

I found a solution. I am on business travel, and don't have the time to analyze this problem.

:lolflag:

NightwishFan
August 20th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Umm.. ok. Well yeah the penguins did resemble the logo, I wonder if that was intentional. :/

CJ Master
August 20th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Umm.. ok. Well yeah the penguins did resemble the logo, I wonder if that was intentional. :/

What possible reason could they have to intentionally make it that way?

It's likely Microsoft just bought rights to some cool pictures some photographers took.

NightwishFan
August 20th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Just a little joke to do with Tux. I doubt it was even ill intended.

cloyd
August 20th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I've had trouble signing in at a Barnes and Noble Starbucks with Firefox . . . went to Chrome, and no problem. However, the last time I was in B&N Starbucks, I had no problem with the sign in. I guess I have contributed nothing really useful to the discussion, but one thing: Even if you don't like Chrome, it is good to have around.

MasterNetra
August 20th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I've had trouble signing in at a Barnes and Noble Starbucks with Firefox . . . went to Chrome, and no problem. However, the last time I was in B&N Starbucks, I had no problem with the sign in. I guess I have contributed nothing really useful to the discussion, but one thing: Even if you don't like Chrome, it is good to have around.

Good point did you try a different browser like chrome or Opera, wolf?

KiwiNZ
August 20th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Easy fix for travel woes and connecting to the web. I take my MacbookPro and my Mobile Broadband Stick.

Grifulkin
August 20th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Even MS suggests not using IE 6 & 7 anymore , but I have encountered web-sites that require some version of IE to access them. I recently installed Firefox on windows 7 and if use IE8 for a download it automatically resets its self as the default browser. I dislike the fact that I can't remove the program , but it is my choice to use Windows so I'm stuck with it until IE9.

You can turn IE off in Windows 7, all you have to do is remove the IE feature, it's not that hard.