PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Netbook 10.04 for Sony Vaio W-series (VPCW211AX)

IperBug
August 18th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Hi all, first post here and first Linux experience for me. I apologize in advance if any question sounds silly and should be better posted in the Absolute Beginner Talk.

I decided to try Ubuntu Netbook 10.04 on my Vaio W-series. I still have the original Windows starter and installed Ubuntu next to it. As a first novice experience, I got to say it went pretty smooth.

I would like you to share your issues here. At the moment, the most annoying one is related to the built-in microphone not working properly (it seems like the volume is super low). I tried to play with the alsamixer, muting, not muting, increasing the volume, but it does not seem to work.

As a consequence, I cannot make good use of Skype and alike. Any suggestion?

External hardware (USB keys, printer, external CD reader/writer) seem to work just fine. Also, I do not have the issue related to the immediate suspension of the laptop when it is running on battery (it is reported here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks)

Any help will be appreciated. Also, if you need more info on my side, just let me know.

IperBug
August 19th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Here are some specs:

#uname -a
Linux IperBug-laptop 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 06:07:29 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

#cat /proc/asound/devices
2: : timer
3: : sequencer
4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
6: [ 0- 0]: hardware dependent
7: [ 0] : control

#head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
Codec: Realtek ALC262

#cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.

Info on my motherboard

#udo dmidecode -t bios
[sudo] password for IperBug:
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.6 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: INSYDE
Version: R0240E2
Release Date: 12/07/2009
ROM Size: 1024 kB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
PNP is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
EDD is supported
8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
Smart battery is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Function key-initiated network boot is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
BIOS Revision: 2.40
Firmware Revision: 2.40

#sudo dmidecode -t baseboard
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.6 present.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 10 bytes
Base Board Information
Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
Product Name: VAIO
Version: N/A
Serial Number: C103WNET

As I said, I tried alsamixer, pulseaudio, sound preferences, muted one by one all the inputs, checked with sound recorder. But nothing happens. All the tricks provided in similar threads do not seem to work, including adding some options line at the end of alsa-base.conf

I attach a screenshot of my alsamixer. After playing around with it, I notice that I can have a very very low sound recorded with the Capture Device (NOT with Capture 1 and Capture 2, this is why they are muted, but changing them does not affect the matter). Also, the Atapi mic does not seem to to the trick. I also treid toggling from Mic to Front Mic to Line, but nothing again. In the Configuration Tab of Volume Control of pulseaudio I have Analog Stereo Duplex as a profile.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

IperBug
August 19th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I upgraded to the last Alsa version

#cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
Compiled on Aug 18 2010 for kernel 2.6.32-24-generic (SMP).

And the microphone now works perfectly.