PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Experience Switching from Ubuntu to Kubuntu

todd1049
August 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I have used ubuntu with gnome for a few years, but with my computer unavailable for a while, I have been using my wife's machine, which has kubuntu on it. I admit that I am starting to like it, and since I was never able to install KDE effectively in ubuntu 10.04, I am starting to wonder if I should just switch to kubuntu totally. I don't want to start any gnome/KDE flame wars, but am curious to hear from anyone who switched from ubuntu to kubuntu -- why you switched, whether you accomplished what you wanted, and whether you switched back. I would be particularly interested to know if your multimedia performance (playing DVDs and the like) was better under one desktop or the other, as that has always been a real challenge for me in ubuntu. Thanks!

Zorgoth
August 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I've tried Kubuntu a few times but I can't stand to live without compiz (kwin just doesn't compare) and kubuntu's compiz compatibility is not at present good enough for me. Also it seems to me like there are not enough plasma widgets... So I have always come back to good old generic Ubuntu (well Ubuntu + cairo-dock + gnome-do - gnome-panel :D)

Multimedia has never been a real problem for me in either OS.

ankspo71
August 21st, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hi,
I switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu for a couple of reasons. I'll start with the silliest reason first though lol.

Since the removal of wallpaper-tray, I was unhappy with the wallpaper changers in the repositories. Kubuntu already has this wallpaper changing ability built into the desktop and does it without adding an icon to the notification area. Although removing the wallpapers from the wallpaper list can have issues.

The other reasons are some of the new ubuntu projects they have going on. It was basically a case of 'too many new ubuntu/gnome projects going on at the same time' for me. Too much construction kind of ruins the experience for me.

Those are the main reasons... that I can mention here. :p
It's all a matter of personal preference though, actually.
I am very happy with using KDE now, but I miss using Gnome just as much.

Old *ix Geek
August 21st, 2010, 10:54 PM
I've tried Kubuntu a few times but I can't stand to live without compiz (kwin just doesn't compare) and kubuntu's compiz compatibility is not at present good enough for me. Also it seems to me like there are not enough plasma widgets...Although I generally install Ubuntu and then install KDE, I don't use Gnome enough to really know what it's capable of any more. But I do know that KDE has tons of desktop effects such as cubes, grids, magic lamp, explosions, and so on. It also lets you have separate setups on each desktop, i.e., different wallpaper and widgets, etc. I love it. It's beautiful, fast, and with all the options for the desktop effects and other settings, there's an infinite number of combinations. As for the number of plasma widgets, I'm satisfied with the ever-growing selection, but it's definitely possible that you and I like/want different things!

PPPilot
August 21st, 2010, 11:10 PM
You can set up your machine for KDE or Gnome at login. This way you can choose your flavor at the login screen and all the Gnome and KDE applications will be in your Application Menu of both. I've got mine set up like this and it works well.
From Terminal:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

You will have to enter your password. Nothing will show as you type it in but this is OK. After the install is complete, reboot. When the Login Screen comes up, click on your login name and the login options will appear on the bottom bar. On the right side you will have the option of selecting Gnome, KDE, or Xterm. Take your pick and login.

Old *ix Geek
August 21st, 2010, 11:13 PM
but am curious to hear from anyone who switched from ubuntu to kubuntu -- why you switched, whether you accomplished what you wanted, and whether you switched back. I would be particularly interested to know if your multimedia performance (playing DVDs and the like) was better under one desktop or the otherI started out using Gnome but switched to KDE a long time ago. Gnome always struck me as just so ugly, and I hated the default panels. KDE is beautiful and has a lot of eye candy. However, it's its functionality, stability and speed that are truly important to me, and I'm perfectly pleased with all that. I can't speak to the DVD issue because I always play my DVDs in my DVD player! :)

Old *ix Geek
August 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM
You can set up your machine for KDE or Gnome at login. This way you can choose your flavor at the login screen and all the Gnome and KDE applications will be in your Application Menu of both.On KDE's menu you can choose to show KDE apps only while running KDE. That way [assuming you're not using those apps when you're running Gnome] your menus aren't cluttered up with unneeded items.

PPPilot
August 21st, 2010, 11:24 PM
On KDE's menu you can choose to show KDE apps only while running KDE. That way [assuming you're not using those apps when you're running Gnome] your menus aren't cluttered up with unneeded items. You are correct. I did that at first but I found that sometimes I wanted to run a KDE application when in Gnome and visa-versa so I weeded them out manually to declutter my menus.

buntunub
August 21st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Ive been on Kubuntu since Karmic, and before that I was toying with KDE4.3 on Archlinux, and am certainly no Linux noob. I have closely followed KDE4's development since the scary KDE4.1 days. I think I can safely say that while it was total crap up until 4.3, 4.4 is wonderful, and 4.5 is amazing. I think KDE is safely back on top in the usability/customizability department once again, and as far as stability, I see no difference between it and GNOME these days, and if anything, GNOME is slightly less stable by my own experiences with Ubuntu Lucid.

OOTB, a Kubuntu Lucid install totally lacks any branding or Ubuntu "flavoring", but 10 minutes with KDE4.4's System Settings tool and you will have a fully customized Kubuntu themed desktop including ALL of that super duper goody Compiz effects identical to any GNOME experience, or better yet, Kwin's OPenGL implementations which are far better and more stable thant Compiz as a WM. In short, I think Ubuntu has fallen behind the power curve of KDE's usability curve which is now way better. As far as eye candy, it is without any doubt at all, the desktop of choice. A stock install runs consistently at or below 500M of RAM, which is good for older machines. After you install Kubuntu Lucid, you can install KDE4.5 (I highly recommend this) just by adding the backports PPA, and its well worth it.

buntunub
August 21st, 2010, 11:52 PM
Heres a couple shots of my current desktop

LightningCrash
August 22nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
why you switched, whether you accomplished what you wanted, and whether you switched back. I would be particularly interested to know if your multimedia performance (playing DVDs and the like) was better under one desktop or the other, as that has always been a real challenge for me in ubuntu. Thanks!

I switched at work. I found KDE's menu list (you can middle click on any open space in the Desktop and get a list of all windows available) to be worth switching, as I have a ton of remote xterms open. The window grouping and all that really helped as well.
I also switched to get a real traybar, like you could get on Windows Explorer. You could have a folder full of shortcuts and have that available from the Windows "Quick Launch." I wanted something analogous to that in Ubuntu, but Gnome wouldn't do it properly. KDE worked great for that. I added in 80 servers to my SSH shortcuts in a few minutes.

Layout and tiling soon became an issue so I switched to KDE+Xmonad and I am still tweaking that.

I use Gnome on my laptops for the moment. I may eventually bring KDE+Xmonad into that arena, too.

No idea on performance... Plasma does seem to crash a lot, though.

Old *ix Geek
September 2nd, 2010, 11:59 PM
10 minutes with KDE4.4's System Settings tool and you will have a fully customized Kubuntu themed desktop including ALL of that super duper goody Compiz effects identical to any GNOME experience, or better yet, Kwin's OPenGL implementations which are far better and more stable thant Compiz as a WM.You're absolutely right. The only problem I have is that there are *SO* many options, it's entirely possible to lose myself in them for hours at a time after a fresh install! :D

For example, I'm using the QTCurve (System Settings | Appearance | Style) widget style. On its 'configure' tab there are 14 settings on the first ('general') page alone--and there are 21 OTHER pages of 'style' options after that! You can literally fine tune every conceivable visual effect. Go back to the main Style page and get lost in the 'colors' tab where, again, you can customize EVERYTHING imaginable.

Really, plan to spend many hours tweaking KDE's appearance exactly to your liking. Dive in and have fun! (Of course you can also just go with one of the many predefined themes.)

In short, I think Ubuntu has fallen behind the power curve of KDE's usability curve which is now way better. As far as eye candy, it is without any doubt at all, the desktop of choice.Definitely.

VanillaMozilla
September 3rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
I would be particularly interested to know if your multimedia performance (playing DVDs and the like) was better under one desktop or the other, as that has always been a real challenge for me in ubuntu.
You can install the VLC player for those times when nothing else will work. And you can run either KDE or Gnome applications from either desktop without any problem. You don't need to switch just to get other programs.