PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] No shut down option?

Roasted
August 18th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Within the kickoff launcher where logout/suspend/etc is, there's no shut down or reboot option. I'm also not finding it within the panel itself. I tried looking through the available widgets to add one, but I'm not finding anything.

So uh - how do I turn my pc off? :P

dabl
August 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM

KMenu > System > Konsole and enter
sudo shutdown now -h

Roasted
August 18th, 2010, 06:47 PM
KMenu > System > Konsole and enter
sudo shutdown now -h

Hate to say it like this, but that is certainly not a valid solution.

There's the button in the GUI? I ran Kubuntu before - where did they go?

depeha
August 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
You have installed GDM, right? Using KDM will solve the problem ;)

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
and choose KDM.

Roasted
August 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
You have installed GDM, right? Using KDM will solve the problem ;)

and choose KDM.

I don't understand. Isn't using KDE at the login screen using KDM?

If I do that, will anything happen to GDM/Gnome?

Roasted
August 19th, 2010, 04:25 PM
up... hoping for a quick answer. :(

depeha
August 20th, 2010, 10:21 AM
You are probably using GDM as default. Just run

and choose KDM. And don't worry... it's not going to do anything with GDM or Gnome. You'll be still able to login into gnome ;)

ankspo71
August 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Within the kickoff launcher where logout/suspend/etc is, there's no shut down or reboot option. I'm also not finding it within the panel itself. I tried looking through the available widgets to add one, but I'm not finding anything.

Hi,
Try going to Settings > System Settings > Click on the Advanced tab > Session Manger. Make sure that "Offer Shutdown Options" is enabled. If I uncheck this, it will remove the shutdown buttons from my kickoff menu and the classic looking menu.

If that doesn't help, you can add the "Lock/Logout" widget (which offers shutdown options) to your panel until you can get to the bottom of it.
Hope this helps.

Termaim
September 9th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Woot! Thank you so much, I have been searching the forums all night and finally found this post. I recently installed the kubuntu-desktop package to try out kde and *love* it... but I was having the same issue. Can't wait to get home from work now and reconfigure it so kdm is the default (I left gdm as default when it was installed as I had no idea if I'd like it or not). Again, thank you for the help :D

wkhasintha
September 9th, 2010, 04:53 AM
You are probably using GDM as default. Just run

and choose KDM. And don't worry... it's not going to do anything with GDM or Gnome. You'll be still able to login into gnome ;)

Thanx for this. :D