PDA

View Full Version : Chrome(ium) ubuntu forums app

Delvien
August 18th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Just a very simple "app" that links you to ubuntu forums.

http://www.webfilehost.com/?mode=viewupload&id=6523161

Unzip and then install.

Enjoy.

TwoEars
August 18th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Bookmarks. Please learn of their existence. This extension is merely a link. Why make this, when bookmarks already exist?

Delvien
August 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Bookmarks. Please learn of their existence. This extension is merely a link. Why make this, when bookmarks already exist?

I never said it was anything but a link. It's just a different way to access it is all. It's literally a smaller tab for your ubuntu forums.

No need to be a **** about it.

TwoEars
August 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I never said it was anything but a link. It's just a different way to access it is all. It's literally a smaller tab for your ubuntu forums.

No need to be a **** about it.

If you're going to consider yourself a programmer of any sort, and an extension maker falls under this, then you must first consider "What is the problem, how can I solve it, does a better solution already exist?" Basically, what you've done is gone "There's a problem, it's already be solved with a better solution, but I'll try and solve it anyway for a niche market(i.e, Ubuntuforums members)" Sometimes, tough love is the best love.

murderslastcrow
August 18th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Maybe he's trying to learn to make extensions? You really shouldn't be distributing it in this form if you expect it to be used, either. People suspect packages like this to be unsafe, and typically quite a bit more difficult to test.

How about sending your next extension to Chrome's official extension gallery online, just like the Firefox extensions? This would get you the most accepting and broad audience.

It's nice to see that you're learning how to make these, but I do have to agree that it doesn't seem necessary enough for people to really try it out in the real world.

I'm not insulting your effort, and I'm not saying you did a bad job of it either. Just hope that you use what you learned here to come up with something even more interesting.

Delvien
August 18th, 2010, 06:59 AM
If you're going to consider yourself a programmer of any sort, and an extension maker falls under this, then you must first consider "What is the problem, how can I solve it, does a better solution already exist?" Basically, what you've done is gone "There's a problem, it's already be solved with a better solution, but I'll try and solve it anyway for a niche market(i.e, Ubuntuforums members)" Sometimes, tough love is the best love.

I made it for myself mostly. I apologize profusely that I shared it with the community, and for whatever rage I stirred up inside of you.

If you don't like it, don't use it. Judging by your other posts, I'd say you try to do this sort of thing alot.

4chan is that way bud ---->

Delvien
August 18th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Maybe he's trying to learn to make extensions? You really shouldn't be distributing it in this form if you expect it to be used, either. People suspect packages like this to be unsafe, and typically quite a bit more difficult to test.

How about sending your next extension to Chrome's official extension gallery online, just like the Firefox extensions? This would get you the most accepting and broad audience.

It's nice to see that you're learning how to make these, but I do have to agree that it doesn't seem necessary enough for people to really try it out in the real world.

I'm not insulting your effort, and I'm not saying you did a bad job of it either. Just hope that you use what you learned here to come up with something even more interesting.

Note above my above post ^, first line or so to be exact.

It took me literally 5 minutes to make it, and that's only because of chromes dev packing of extensions rather than me just being able to rename the extension, and the file is easy enough to read through what it is (10 lines of "code" or so) So if they don't trust it they can look what it does. It's in no way closed source.

TwoEars
August 18th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I made it for myself mostly. I apologize profusely that I shared it with the community, and for whatever rage I stirred up inside of you.

If you don't like it, don't use it. Judging by your other posts, I'd say you try to do this sort of thing alot.

4chan is that way bud ---->

I'm giving you advice, good advice. Ignore it if you want, but good look bettering the world one link at a time! I'm sure we'll all have 100000000 extensions installed to take us to every possible website by the end of this year.

NightwishFan
August 18th, 2010, 07:17 AM
If they have use in it then more power to them. Keep up the enthusiasm and creativity it is part of why I like open source. Though frankly I am unable to test as I do not use Chrome/ium.

Delvien
August 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm giving you advice, good advice. Ignore it if you want, but good look bettering the world one link at a time! I'm sure we'll all have 100000000 extensions installed to take us to every possible website by the end of this year.

Advice you say? I wasn't asking anyone how to "better the world" with a chromium app. You should probably go back up and read my original post again.

This isn't some big project in which I hope to accomplish some great feat. I stated I made an "app" because that's what it's called, not to try and redefine your browser, or life. For all intensive purposes, it is a bookmark, a psuedo-permanent tabbed bookmark.

You turned something as simple as sharing something with the forums into a trolling session. If you don't like it, as I stated before, don't use it.

Anyway, thanks for your input, but I wasn't looking for it.

Elfy
August 18th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Don't feed the troll here - stop now.

Delvien
August 18th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Don't feed the troll here - stop now.

I hear ya. I ran out troll feed anyway :(

Quake
August 18th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Bah... ignore TwoEars. Thanks for the extension.

KiwiNZ
August 18th, 2010, 07:37 AM
@ TwoEars you have made your points , now leave this thread to others.

Remember our COC for future reference.

lovinglinux
August 18th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Uploading the extension to Google's Chrome extension gallery just creates the illusion of safety, because unlike what Mozilla does with Firefox extensions, Google does not review each new extension and version for malicious code or errors. Any extension on Google's Gallery (except for plugins) has the potential to behave maliciously and give itself all the necessary permissions to do so.

That being said, I agree it should be distributed through the official channels, not only because of the broader audience, but also because of updates, ratings and user comments.

I have difficulties making sure all users get the latest versions of my Firefox extensions, even when using the proper channel. If you post your extensions all around the web, it would be really hard for you to avoid for example someone downloading a version with a serious bug and thinking your extension doesn't work. So use the official channel for distribution. It will make your life easier in the long run and will give your extensions a better impression.

I also don't post direct links to extensions downloads, because of the same problem. I post only links to the official channel download page or my blog, otherwise people would find links to old versions at some point. When they do and the extension doesn't work because is no longer compatible with the browser version, users tend to go to extension page and give a really bad review, which is really annoying and detrimental.

Delvien
August 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Uploading the extension to Google's Chrome extension gallery just creates the illusion of safety, because unlike what Mozilla does with Firefox extensions, Google does not review each new extension and version for malicious code or errors. Any extension on Google's Gallery (except for plugins) has the potential to behave maliciously and give itself all the necessary permissions to do so.

That being said, I agree it should be distributed through the official channels, not only because of the broader audience, but also because of updates, ratings and user comments.

I have difficulties making sure all users get the latest versions of my Firefox extensions, even when using the proper channel. If you post your extensions all around the web, it would be really hard for you to avoid for example someone downloading a version with a serious bug and thinking your extension doesn't work. So use the official channel for distribution. It will make your life easier in the long run and will give your extensions a better impression.

I also don't post direct links to extensions downloads, because of the same problem. I post only links to the official channel download page or my blog, otherwise people would find links to old versions at some point. When they do and the extension doesn't work because is no longer compatible with the browser version, users tend to go to extension page and give a really bad review, which is really annoying and detrimental.

I agree with you for the most part, but this isn't a project for me, it's just something I wanted for myself and shared with the forums. If it were something more than a simple tabbed bookmark, I would submit it through the official channels, but until then, I don't think something this simple is worthy of said channels.

lovinglinux
August 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I agree with you for the most part, but this isn't a project for me, it's just something I wanted for myself and shared with the forums. If it were something more than a simple tabbed bookmark, I would submit it through the official channels, but until then, I don't think something this simple is worthy of said channels.

Perhaps you think is too simple and not worthy of such channels, but consider this could be a way of promoting Ubuntu. Just a thought...

TheNerdAL
August 18th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Awesome App! :D I don't know how to install it though. :lolflag:

Delvien
August 19th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Perhaps you think is too simple and not worthy of such channels, but consider this could be a way of promoting Ubuntu. Just a thought...

I suppose :P

I just looked. Google isn't accepting web apps from devs for the web app store yet, so even if I wanted to upload it. I can't.

Delvien
August 19th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Awesome App! :D I don't know how to install it though. :lolflag:

You have to have a current version of Chrome or Chromium, and run chrome like this:

/path/to/chrome -enable-apps

or below if you run chromium

chromium -enable-apps

You unzip the file, the one attached to original post, and drag the .crx to a tab. It will ask you to install (where you would see your download status') and you click accept (or save/yes, forget off the top of my head)

Then you just drag the big icon from the extensions page to where u want the tab

This is a good write-up on it:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/enable-chrome-web-apps-in-chromium-on.html

Legendary_Bibo
August 19th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Can you make it for Firefox? Like have it where it's a button like what your home button, or FoxTab is.

lovinglinux
August 19th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I suppose :P

I just looked. Google isn't accepting web apps from devs for the web app store yet, so even if I wanted to upload it. I can't.

I see. It's an "app" not an extension. Now I have noticed the position of the logo. Sorry for the confusion.

Can you make it for Firefox? Like have it where it's a button like what your home button, or FoxTab is.

No need. Firefox 4 will com with this functionality built-in. You can select a tab and make it an "app". It becomes faviconized and positioned on the left side of the tabs.

Delvien
August 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM

I just read your 8/18 comic. ALL TRUTH, and made me LOL hard.

Legendary_Bibo
August 19th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I just read your 8/18 comic. ALL TRUTH, and made me LOL hard.

Haha yep, I've spending this whole week trying to deal with things at the school. Nobody knows anything! I actually had to find out from my physics professor that my chemistry lab was canceled. It's all a mess. ](*,)

Delvien
August 19th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Haha yep, I've spending this whole week trying to deal with things at the school. Nobody knows anything! I actually had to find out from my physics professor that my chemistry lab was canceled. It's all a mess. ](*,)

Believe me, I am right there with you... My college doesn't believe in appointments. ONLY walk-ins which have you sitting there for an hour+ just to get a 4 word answer.

Legendary_Bibo
August 19th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Believe me, I am right there with you... My college doesn't believe in appointments. ONLY walk-ins which have you sitting there for an hour+ just to get a 4 word answer.

For me I had all my classes signed up for, I applied for financial aid, started a payment plan. Find out a class was canceled and they changed my payment plan too quickly because I signed back up for my lab the day it was canceled. So now I have to find out if my payment plan will change back to what it was so I don't get dropped from my lab. The administrative office didn't know if the class was canceled or if I was dropped. Then they made up something about how the payment plan doesn't work or something and told me to walk alllllll the way across campus only to find out from my physics professor it was canceled. So tomorrow I get to go there again and figure out if my financial situation is all in place. It's really a big PITA.

MJWitter
August 19th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I haven't downloaded the app yet, but is it the same function as right clicking a tab and selecting "Pin Tab" ?

Delvien
August 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I haven't downloaded the app yet, but is it the same function as right clicking a tab and selecting "Pin Tab" ?

Wow... I didn't even know you could do that. Yeah it's the same thing in the end I guess. A different icon, but that's all

TheNessus
August 20th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Wow... I didn't even know you could do that. Yeah it's the same thing in the end I guess. A different icon, but that's all

pffff.....

lovinglinux
August 20th, 2010, 03:21 AM
As of today Google is charging $5 per developer to publish extensions, apps and other stuff:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1556690