PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Latitude e6510 w/ Intel HD

acroporas
August 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Can anyone help me install ubuntu on a Dell Latitude e6510 with Intel HD Graphics. The live cd boots (can hear the welcome jingle) but the screen is blank.

acroporas
August 18th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Bump

spcwingo
August 19th, 2010, 01:49 AM
When booting from the live CD at the bottom there should be something to the effect of "other options". It'll say what button to press to access it (I think it's F6). After pressing the appropriate button at the end of the text enter this:

i915.modeset=1

If that doesn't work you can try:

i915.modeset=0

If that doesn't work either you could finally try:

xforcevesa

Let me know if this will at least get you video output...If so I'll help you get it installed and make that setting stick after installation. :)

acroporas
August 19th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Nope, none of those fix the problem.

It is closer though. Before the screen would go black immediately after selecting "Try Ubuntu", with any of those options the screen would stay purple for a while, not going black until just moments before the desktop loaded.

spcwingo
August 19th, 2010, 03:43 AM
The only other thing that I could think of to try is the 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) Alpha release. The ISO can be downloaded here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/releases/maverick/alpha-3/

rioatca
August 19th, 2010, 06:00 AM
On same boat :)

DELL Latitude E6510 with NV GEFORCE 310M :(

acroporas
August 19th, 2010, 05:25 PM
10.10 does not do any better...

The only other thing that I could think of to try is the 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) Alpha release. The ISO can be downloaded here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/releases/maverick/alpha-3/

spcwingo
August 20th, 2010, 12:53 AM
On same boat :)

DELL Latitude E6510 with NV GEFORCE 310M :(

Have you tried the:

xforcevesa

as above?

10.10 does not do any better...

I am at a loss at what to try next...those extra kernel parameters have worked on every Intel video chipset that I have tried so far (at least the ones that just output a black screen before).

I don't normally recommend older releases but, have you tried Hardy (8.04)? Hardy has bang-up Intel video support.

rioatca
August 20th, 2010, 07:39 AM
back to 9.0.4
it works

sambarluc
August 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I have exactly the same problem, I can only use the low graphics mode if I add both options in grup i915.modesetsomething=0 AND xforcevesa.
Good luck

acroporas
August 20th, 2010, 11:58 PM
10.10 - No screen output.
10.04 - No screen output.
9.10 - Screen works, but crashes IMMEDIATELY
9.04 - Neither the wired or wireless network works. Compiz does not work.

acroporas
August 21st, 2010, 12:28 AM
I have exactly the same problem, I can only use the low graphics mode if I add both options in grup i915.modesetsomething=0 AND xforcevesa.
Good luck

This does work. I added "i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa" and the live CD will boot. No compiz :( but better than nothing...

dfhoughton
September 23rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
I struggled with this for most of a day. Here are some tips I discovered in my struggles:

You need to press shift, not escape, to get the GRUB menu with GRUB 2.
The BIOS, I find, is a little flaky. If you press shift too soon it will throw a rod and die. Wait for the underscore cursor to appear. But don't wait too long! (See next point.)
Getting the GRUB menu is like blowing up the Death Star. You have a small window of opportunity and you can't use instruments. You have to use the force to find that window. Holding shift doesn't work. Press the shift key manically and you are likely to get the menu.

FredWst
October 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hello,

With Maverick RC, no need modeset and xforcevesa.
Just a little trick to make work with drm.
I boot my system until ear sound, i have black screen.
Just connect a LCD to VGA and remove it, and everything will be OK.
It's working on both 32 and 64 bits OS

Have someone fixe this ?

Fred