PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Simple Question

baudday
August 17th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Solution may not be so simple...

Today I installed Ubuntu Server 10.04 on a RAID 5 setup. Everything worked great. Followed this guide to set it up so that everything would work with ISPConfig. http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-10.04-lucid-lynx-ispconfig-3.

Everything was working great and I was setting up clients and everything when the server just went offline, so I came upstairs to check it out and couldn't really tell what was going on, so I just rebooted.

When it booted up I got the following:

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
/dev/md1: clean, 74060/8724480 files, 965799/34867168 blocks

I was a little confused by that, but left it alone for a while thinking it was doing something. It's been a while now and the same thing still shows up. I tried rebooting again, but the same message comes up.

Does anyone know what this means? Is there something wrong or is it actually doing something? If there is something wrong, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

baudday
August 18th, 2010, 01:14 AM
If anyone can help me with this, that would be awesome. It's pretty urgent, after Thursday I won't have access to the server.

Bachstelze
August 18th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Try booting in "recovery mode", it's more verbose, so should give you a better idea of what's going on.

baudday
August 18th, 2010, 03:11 AM
okay thanks for the reply! how do i do that?

baudday
August 18th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Okay, for future reference, you hold shift before Ubuntu loads and it brings up a menu where you can choose to boot into recovery mode.

I did this and it ran through what it was doing, basically loading some scripts or something, then suddenly it's either done or just stops and the same two lines (as posted above) show up.

I'm at a complete loss and seeing as this is a new install, if I don't figure this out by tomorrow, I'll probably just reinstall.

Bachstelze
August 18th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Kinda hard to figure out what is going on. Try booting a Live CD and fsck your partitions manually, maybe one of them is not so clean.

baudday
August 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I went into the filesystem with the live cd and created /forcefsck which is supposed to execute fsck on the next boot. So then I rebooted and it seems to be running but I'm not exactly sure if it is or not. How can I be sure it's doing anything?

baudday
August 18th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I've decided to reinstall. Just hope this doesn't happen again.

wynand2020
August 18th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Install Windows

spynappels
August 18th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Install Windows

Very helpful.

arrrghhh
August 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Install Windows

Seriously? Go back in your hole.

baudday
August 19th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I reinstalled. Running 3 sites on the server now no problem. Still have no idea what happened, but the server is coming in on its first full day of operation haha.