PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950

DayLite
August 17th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Ubuntu recognizes that I have Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950. I know that because it lists it as one of my choices for video when I load 'Cheese'.

How do I install the software in Ubuntu? Tell me what driver etc I need. Please use very basic terms as I am very new.

kwacka
August 17th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I believe that the drivers are already installed in Ubuntu as part of the kernel.

When you say 'the software' that depends on what you want. If you want a full-blown media centre( a la Windows media centre) check out Mythbuntu, if you just want to watch a few programs on computer install (e.g.) xawtv from the Ubuntu Software centre under 'applications' - just enter 'TV' in the search box

DayLite
August 17th, 2010, 11:07 PM
I believe that the drivers are already installed in Ubuntu as part of the kernel.

When you say 'the software' that depends on what you want. If you want a full-blown media centre( a la Windows media centre) check out Mythbuntu, if you just want to watch a few programs on computer install (e.g.) xawtv from the Ubuntu Software centre under 'applications' - just enter 'TV' in the search box

I did search 'TV' and installed Kaffeine. I didn't understand how to set it up. Didn't know how to have it recognize drivers. It is a program to watch TV. I didn't want anything fancy. I have cable TV and just wanted to launch a window to watch it on my computer. I have a TV card and it is connected to my TV cable. Don't know what will launch it.

kwacka
August 17th, 2010, 11:27 PM
See linuxtv.org/wiki (http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-950).

Any problems come back.

DayLite
August 18th, 2010, 04:31 AM
run the extract_xc3028.pl script found in linux/Documentation/video4linux:

How do I do that? Where is 'video4linux' in Ubuntu?

kwacka
August 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Linux is not Windows, .exe files don't run on Linux natively.

Open Ubuntu Software sources, install ivtv-utils

DayLite
August 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
see linuxtv.org/wiki (http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/hauppauge_wintv-hvr-950).

Any problems come back.
yes