PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Ubuntu Wannabe User...

mercedesk
August 17th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Hello everyone,

Please bare with me so that I can explain...

I have Windows XP OS 32bit.

I have 64bit hardware/computer but never upped from 32bit to 64bit OS. So I am still running a 32bit XP OS...

I want to up my OS to 64bit - but with Ubuntu - NOT Windows 7...

Next part in all of that...

I MUST be able to run these Windows based programs...

Daz Studio 3 Advanced - a 3D rendering program...
Poser 8 - "same type above"
Carrara 8 - "same type above"
Paint Shop Pro XI
Adobe Photoshop CS5
Artistseer 2.5
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
Microsoft Expressions Web

Those programs are a MUST for me in the work that I do in my tiny growing small business. Now, I know that Ubuntu has Wine - however - I haven't a CLUE of how to get it running and then, those programs on it.

Last... I'm so hating Windows/Microsoft right now - with a passion that is unbelievable - I have had enough and I am dying to go Ubuntu ENTIRELY - COMPLETELY - forever!!!

Pleeeeeeease somebody - help me please... I'm staring at my wrist and all the veins with a fantasy of rupturing them, LOL, naw - not that bad yet - but you get my desperation. :-({|=

howefield
August 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I MUST be able to run these Windows based programs...

Browse the application database at winehq.org for each of your must have applications. That might give you an idea of how well they will run,... or not.

pricetech
August 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
With that list, you probably should just stick with windows. If your business is actually busy, you don't have a lot of time to make stuff work.

An upgrade to Windows7 is probably not a good idea either though. Win7 is not nearly as broken as vista was, but still there are some compatibility issues with software as well as hardware.

Just make sure your XP is at Service Pack 3 so it enjoys the extended support til 2014.

mercedesk
August 18th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Noooo, not that busy right now, which is why I wish to do it now if possible, I really can't stand being on Windows. But I will try the link supplied.

;)

jcolyn
August 18th, 2010, 02:35 AM
An upgrade to Windows7 is probably not a good idea either though. Win7 is not nearly as broken as vista was, but still there are some compatibility issues with software as well as hardware.

Like what?

I'm not a Windows user at home but am stuck having to use it at work. We've upgraded to 7 with no compatibility issues whatsoever. In fact I have to admit I am somewhat impressed with it's performance. But not impressed enough to go back to it..

jcolyn
August 18th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Below is the link to CS5 in wine.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20158

All the programs you list will require installation in wine if they are compatible. Be sure to check all..

You should instead upgrade to Windows 7 and find another computer to install Linux to in order to learn how to use it..

linux18
August 18th, 2010, 02:57 AM
1) learn linux on a 'throw away' computer
2) dual woot
3) switch entirely to linux
4) realize the truth (there is no spoon) and become a linux zealot

we all go through this

cody1233
August 18th, 2010, 03:06 AM
or maybe you don't actually have to use those exact programs...go to www.osalt.com and search for alternatives that may do the same things as the listed programs