PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] New to Ubuntu - very pleased, but HD might be a mess

JPP4
August 17th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Hello to all - got turned on to Ubuntu and now on both laptops Dell mini 9 and Inspirion 1521:D Like Linux much better than MS.

Not a real experienced computer user, but enjoy learning. Problem is I think I got too many partitions on my hard drive. The 1521's got Vista and Ubuntu dual booted. Tried to erase?format? a partition that said "XP embedded" remember trying to load XP long time ago so tried to remove it.

When I erased it, Ubuntu wouldn't boot and got a Grub error so I ran LiveCD and reinstalled. Now 2 Ubuntu's are on the disk. Tried to read a little and installed gpart. Included a screenshot of disk, sorry not good with posting system info and knowing my way around yet. How can I clean this up? or is there a good resource for learning how to do so?

Many thanks

elliotn
August 17th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the forum, well your screenshot shows dat u have 2 ext4 partition and 2 ntfs partition,
U need to figure out which partion holds your prefered installation of ubuntu, then wipe other, I suggest u erase all those ext4 partitions and all unallocated space then reinstall ubuntu again, i know its pain but it would help to get rid of your plenty partition

JPP4
August 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Welcome to the forum, well your screenshot shows dat u have 2 ext4 partition and 2 ntfs partition,
U need to figure out which partion holds your prefered installation of ubuntu, then wipe other, I suggest u erase all those ext4 partitions and all unallocated space then reinstall ubuntu again, i know its pain but it would help to get rid of your plenty partition

Thank you for the reply and welcome. So I erase the 2 ext4 partitions. Do I erase the 2 linux swap partitions as well and the reinstall ubuntu? Many thanks again

silverglade00
August 17th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Yes, it would be best to remove them both and reinstall.

You want to get rid of /dev/sda4 and higher. Keep sda1, sda2, and sda3. Those are your Windows and recovery partitions.

If you feel confident working with partitions, you might want to use 3 for Ubuntu. One for swap, one for / and one for /home. The one for /home will hold all of your user files and makes it easier to reinstall later on if you wish. These will have to go into an extended partition.

JPP4
August 17th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks! Up running again. JP