PDA

View Full Version : And my evening will be spent installing Ubuntu onto...

fatality_uk
August 17th, 2010, 01:53 PM
http://htc-linux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Leo/Builds#Google_Android

Austin25
August 18th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Nice. Xubuntu?

Legendary_Bibo
August 18th, 2010, 02:16 AM
You won't be able to make anymore calls though.

I will have to install this...on my friends' Droid. :D

Bachstelze
August 18th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Same here, but on http://soekris.com/net4501.htm

Hardy only though, more recent versions of Ubuntu don't like the i486 CPU.

murderslastcrow
August 18th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I think if they use something similar to Matchbox or E17 it'll be far easier to manage. I really wouldn't mind fluxbox, either.

The real issue here is that you're running Ubuntu inside of Android, without direct access. In theory, compiz would run quite comfortably on this hardware (good graphics card, 512 MB of RAM, 1 Ghz CPU), but the lack of official drivers makes this impossible, and you're also kinda' screwed if you don't have an image for the original Android or dual-boot it. This is because not all of the phones' features will work with it yet.

Ironically, the iPhone has open drivers hacked for it in order to run Android, so technically having an iPhone with Android would be more open than having an Android phone.

Either way, I love my EVO. I get as much open source as I can on it. XD

fatality_uk
August 18th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Now don't laugh, but I think I might have just bricked my HD2 :)
I
only have Linux at home and on my lappy so had to use a works PC for flashing the ROM, plus its a works phone.

It didn't go well :(

I was mostly interested in Android actually but the chance to play with a custom Ubuntu install was like a BIG RED BUTTON on a plane that says DON'T PUSH

You KNOW you just want to push it lol

murderslastcrow
August 18th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm sure your wireless provider can flash the original rom for you if it's not available on your provider's website. I hope it gets fixed soon, bud. Yeah, I have my desktop for Ubuntu. If I really need to play Wine games from six years ago on my phone I'll get myself an AIGO.

fatality_uk
August 20th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Oh my word, Android on the HTC HD2 is just jaw dropppingly gorgeous. I just ran Ubuntu as well, bit buggy but ANDROID, ouch I love it!!!