PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu finally getting multitouch

m4tic
August 17th, 2010, 12:44 PM
The next version of Ubuntu will get multitouch interface abilities
http://aatechno.blogspot.com/2010/08/ubuntu-now-has-multitouch.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+aatechno+%28All+About+Technol ogy%29

lovinglinux
August 17th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Firefox 4 too, but only for Windows 7 so far. I don't know when is going to be available for Linux.

See the video at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0b3/whatsnew/

LeifAndersen
August 17th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Ah, very good.

Although I do have one comment to the OP, why the short link? Short links are useful in services such as Twitter which thinks it adds value by limiting you to 140 characters, or IRC where you wouldn't want to spam the whole place with a link that's 4 lines long, but in a forum like this? Even if the link was too long VBulletin would simply not show the entire link in the actual post. (Sorry, I just think shot links are in general, bad, unless their really needed).

Dustin2128
August 17th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Cool, but I've seen multitouch videos for years. Hmmmm....

Firefox 4 too, but only for Windows 7 so far. I don't know when is going to be available for Linux.

See the video at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/4.0b3/whatsnew/
:???: firefox needs to start caring a bit more about linux...

Mr. Picklesworth
August 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Cool, but I've seen multitouch videos for years. Hmmmm....

Lots of those involve experimental multitouch systems thrown onto Linux. The difference here is it's aiming to be a standard, well supported, top-to-bottom solution to last and coexist on the desktop. It distinctly isn't a tech demo.

When I first read someone was doing multitouch (I forget where…), I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much is going on, and now super excited :)

Nick_Jinn
August 17th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Nice. Its about time.

Its because they are using the new kernel.

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM
YAY!!! :guitar:

I have an HP-Tx2-1275dx, and I'm hoping for some more functionality.

Legendary_Bibo
August 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Ah, very good.

Although I do have one comment to the OP, why the short link? Short links are useful in services such as Twitter which thinks it adds value by limiting you to 140 characters, or IRC where you wouldn't want to spam the whole place with a link that's 4 lines long, but in a forum like this? Even if the link was too long VBulletin would simply not show the entire link in the actual post. (Sorry, I just think shot links are in general, bad, unless their really needed).

there's also the url tags where you can hyperlink text to a url.

lovinglinux
August 17th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Ah, very good.

I use short links here to post images from picasa, because for some reason the forum censoring system replaces part of some URLs with asterisks. Probably not the case here, but I just wanted to show a valid example of it's usefulness here in the forums.

Superkoop
August 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM
This isn't just for touchscreen devices, but it can also be used for my laptop's touchpad too, right? Like in OSX you can use two fingers on the touchpad and scroll. Will this be a standard option in Ubuntu within the next year?
Also, is this going to be integrated in both GNOME and KDE within Ubuntu?
Is this going to soon be an option in all major Distros? Like Debian, Red Hat, Mandriva, OpenSuse, Fedora, etc, etc?
Will this be more of a standard through KDE/GNOME or the Kernal or is it going to be purely something extra that the distro puts in?

All I really care about is that I can use my touchpad on my laptop to do things like you can in OSX, because I really like that feature... But this is really cool if it can be well supported, and works... I'm kind of excited.

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM
This isn't just for touchscreen devices, but it can also be used for my laptop's touchpad too, right? Like in OSX you can use two fingers on the touchpad and scroll. Will this be a standard option in Ubuntu within the next year?
Is this going to soon be an option in all major Distros? Like Debian, Red Hat, Mandriva, OpenSuse, Fedora, etc, etc?
Will this be more of a standard through KDE/GNOME or the Kernal or is it going to be purely something extra that the distro puts in?

All I really care about is that I can use my touchpad on my laptop to do things like you can in OSX, because I really like that feature... But this is really cool if it can be well supported, and works... I'm kind of excited.
No, not in all touchpads, only ones that support it. The drivers might only be for touchscreens also.

juancarlospaco
August 17th, 2010, 08:00 PM
FYI Ubuntu got multitouch a long time ago.

but not by default, you need to install and configure.

Legendary_Bibo
August 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I wonder if this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVD_Lvv4UOI&feature=player_embedded#!) could run a specialized version of Ubuntu.

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Well, is my tablet going to be supported by default in 10.10?

JDShu
August 17th, 2010, 09:46 PM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODUxMg

Wanted to bring this to attention: Some people say that Canonical is finally contributing something useful upstream.

m4tic
August 17th, 2010, 09:50 PM
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODUxMg

Wanted to bring this to attention: Some people say that Canonical is finally contributing something useful upstream.

Those politics again

JDShu
August 17th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Those politics again

Yep, unfortunately politics is something that we must all deal with. At least its positive from Canonical's point of view.

BigCityCat
August 17th, 2010, 11:49 PM
I prefer a keyboard and mouse. I hate looking at a dirty nasty screen.

Austin25
August 18th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I prefer a keyboard and mouse. I hate looking at a dirty nasty screen.
If you keep your fingers clean that shouldn't be a problem.

Legendary_Bibo
August 18th, 2010, 02:01 AM
If you keep your fingers clean that shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you remove the oil glands in your fingers then it's going to be a problem.

Austin25
August 18th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Unless you remove the oil glands in your fingers then it's going to be a problem.
Fine. you win, although I thought there was a joke I could come up with a touchscreen and barbecue. Also, I have a touchscreen, and it isn't a problem for me.

NCLI
August 18th, 2010, 03:18 AM

It's standard now, if your touchpad can do it at all. My Gigabyte netbook has two-finger scroll, three-finger click. two-finger click, and one-finger click, and I didn't have to do a thing.

Nick_Jinn
August 18th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Will Wacom tablets work out of the box?

lovinglinux
August 19th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Ginn - Forcing non-multitouch-aware applications to support multitouch in Ubuntu (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/ginn-forcing-non-multitouch-aware.htm)