PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Desktop Mods or Enhancements

cro_409
August 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Hey guys, I have had Ubuntu for quite some time, but have never had the chance to really explore all of it. So hopefully this post doesn't exist somewhere else, I tried a few different search terms but didnt see anything.
I love to modify the desktop to make it more catching, and hopefully more functional. Are there any Desktop Mods/Enhancements that you recommend?

I already have compiz. But from the sounds of it that is one of the main ones. Looking forward to making all my friends jealous and converting them away from the "dark side," aka. Windows.

Thanks!

tshep03
August 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Screenlets are pretty cool.

pablopancho
August 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Screenlets and maybe some sort of dock, AWN for example, Gnome Do...

Zorgoth
August 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
cairo-dock (recommend getting 2.2), gnome-do. Bind gnome-do to Alt-F2 and get GnoMenu on cairo-dock bound to Alt-F1 and you have a complete environment which looks a lot better.

fatality_uk
August 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
The beauty of Linux and Ubuntu is that you can make it do pretty much anything you want. Open Source makes this possible.

There are literally 1,000's of modifications for Linux & Ubuntu

Frogs Hair
August 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I vote for AWN or GLX dock and if you like clear or glassy window borders there is the Emerald theme manager . I liked the Info Panel screenlet and the GnoMenu from Gnome look.org .

conundrumx
August 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM
No conky mentions?

Most of the really impressive stuff has been mentioned, but don't underestimate the effect of a good theme. I used gnome-look primarily.

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Maybe get another Desktop environment / Window manager. E17, Xfce, or KDE are my recomendations.
Also, plain bash in a virtual tty.

PSioNiC STRaNGLeR
August 17th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I really like overglosed - check it out here

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Overglossed?content=74813

davec64
August 17th, 2010, 10:48 PM
No conky mentions?

I love it and can't stop tinkering with it!