PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remove windows entry from Grub2

yahelos
August 17th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hello again!!

Ive installed a fresh copy of ubuntu onto my laptop, dual boot with 7. Everything runs smoothly except the grub.

So in grub i have an entry of vista loader. I have removed the ubuntu recovery mode and the memtest entry so now i have 3 entries
Ubuntu
vista loader
7 loader

How i can remove the vista loader?

PS i have never had installed vista onto my system i bought it brandy new with 7 pre-installed.

TheStroj
August 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Vista loader is 7, but in the old days 7 was not recognized and was discribed as Vista loader.

yahelos
August 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
so what? i need the two of them?

Rubi1200
August 17th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Does running

sudo update-grub
from the terminal give a different result?

drs305
August 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
One way would be to modify the /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober so that it omits a specific title. Look at Section 4 of my "G2 Title Tweaks" thread. You wont' use the "Recovery" title in the example, but would substitute the Vista loader title found in quotes in /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1287602)

It's a bit geeky but if you follow the instructions it shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

Another option is to just make and use a Custom menu and disable the 30_os-prober script altogether.

yahelos
August 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I think that will do the trick.

Ill try it when i ll go home, and i ll post the results.

yahelos
August 17th, 2010, 09:33 PM
it works like a charm!!! thx buddy!!

drs305
August 17th, 2010, 10:12 PM
it works like a charm!!! thx buddy!!

:-)

Did you use the "Title" change method from the Title Tweaks thread?

I've seen others wanting to get rid of the "Vista Bootloader" entry. I can include that specifically in the Title Tweaks section if you would be so kind as to give me the exact title as it appeared in grub.cfg or as you have it in your exclusion line in 30_os-prober.

yahelos
August 18th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I used the "HIDING THE WINDOWS RECOVERY PARTITION (Vista)"

the name was exactly as at your guild.

Windows Vista (loader) and at the same partition (sda1)

The weird part is that when i bought my laptop ive format the disk and erased all of his partition to get rid off the pre-installed software.
So ive believed that i had completely erased the "service partition"