PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgraded to 10.04 LTS problems

rhossack
August 17th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I'm a total idiot when it comes to linux.

Using dual boot with vista 64

I was using 9.4? and tried to upgrade to the 10.04 LTS and after the install it locks up the computer at the screen where it asks for name and password.

I notice that the lights on the keyboard are not on.

lechien73
August 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM
What hardware are you using?

Please could you try the following:

When you see the Grub menu, press 'e' to edit the entry
After the line which ends 'quiet splash' type a space and 'noapic' - without the quotes
Press Ctrl-X to boot

rhossack
August 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
What hardware are you using?
Thanks for the response ...

CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz 118 F Yorkfield 45nm Technology

RAM 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)

Motherboard Dell Inc. 0M017G (CPU 1)

Graphics WS231 @ 1600x1200
256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 (Dell)

Hard Drives
625GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD642JJ ATA Device (IDE) 99 F 977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EAVS-55D7B1 ATA Device (IDE) 96 F
Optical Drives
YMAX MagicJack USB Device
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653F ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Please could you try the following:

When you see the Grub menu, press 'e' to edit the entry
After the line which ends 'quiet splash' type a space and 'noapic' - without the quotes
Press Ctrl-X to boot

Not sure what the 'Grub menu' is but I certainly will attempt to do this.

sydbat
August 17th, 2010, 04:22 PM
OP - I have another question. How did you install Ubuntu? In it's own, separate partition? Or was it via wubi?

If you installed with wubi (as a program in Windows), from what I understand, upgrading from one version to another (in your case 9.04 to 10.04) can completely mess up Ubuntu.

If Ubuntu is in its own partition, following lechien73's instructions might help.

How did the upgrade go? Were there any error messages that popped up? Did the computer freeze at any time during the upgrade?

lechien73
August 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
OP - I have another question. How did you install Ubuntu? In it's own, separate partition? Or was it via wubi?

Good catch, thanks :) that could explain why he's not sure about the Grub menu.

rhossack
August 17th, 2010, 08:19 PM
It's in its own partition.

If Ubuntu is in its own partition, following lechien73's instructions might help.
It didn't ... I found the line in the grub menu and it still locks up at asking for the password menu.

The mouse and keyboard are dead.

How did the upgrade go? Were there any error messages that popped up? Did the computer freeze at any time during the upgrade?
No .... to both messages and lockups.

lechien73
August 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Does 10.04 work ok if you boot from the Live CD, or does it still freeze?

You could try adding 'nomodeset xforcevesa' after 'quiet splash' because it could be a graphics driver issue. There have been problems with the ATI drivers.

rhossack
August 18th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Does 10.04 work ok if you boot from the Live CD, or does it still freeze?
I don't have a live cd ... I just let it upgrade itself. Will see about making one.

You could try adding 'nomodeset xforcevesa' after 'quiet splash' because it could be a graphics driver issue. There have been problems with the ATI drivers.
Thanks ... will try that.

When I go to the Grub folder and open the menu I assume this is the line that needs attention?

title Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, kernel 2.6.32-24-generic
root ()/ubuntu/disks
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=40482AC8482ABD12 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro ROOTFLAGS=syncio quiet splash nomodeset xforcevesa
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic

rhossack
August 18th, 2010, 11:31 PM
This worked! I can now boot into ubuntu ... thanks

lechien73
August 19th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Great stuff, glad it's working for you now - if you get chance could you click on Thread Tools at the top right and mark the thread as [Solved], please?

Thanks