PDA

View Full Version : Free software article

andymorton
August 17th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Hi,

I just spotted this article on free software from the Guardian newspaper.

andy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/libertycentral/2010/aug/16/get-more-people-using-free-software

earthpigg
August 17th, 2010, 09:22 AM
better written than most.

fatality_uk
August 17th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Not bad actually.

slackthumbz
August 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
The article is ok but a quick read of the comments shows just how much ignorance and misconception there still is surrounding FOSS.

BigSilly
August 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
The article is ok but a quick read of the comments shows just how much ignorance and misconception there still is surrounding FOSS.

Hmmm. What exactly is an "Average Joe", and what makes them any different from me? Surely Average Joes buy a computer with an OS installed, thereby negating any of the tinkering these orators ascribe to. Windows takes just as much setting up when installing manually as any other system, the big difference is "Average Joe" buys a PC with it already done for him/her. Now if only we could get Ubuntu pre-installed on the wider scale then we might get a fairer representation of opinion.

When we bought our Ubuntu Dell laptop years ago, it was already set up as it should be. Now my missus is an average person, and so am I, but in spite of the differences between Linux and Windows somehow we managed to cope. :rolleyes: In fact, I find that once you show someone how to do something for themselves, they prefer it to the cartoon hand holding on Microsoft products. You don't even have to get the terminal involved!

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think we need a fully open source laptop, and pitch it to big computer retailers, and say, "It's better, even though it's cheaper. People can build one on their own, but most will choose not to. Fully configurable for tinkerers, and user friendly for the less competent." That is how to get the world to switch. Just my $0.02