PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Where do I get super grub CD now?

anewguy
August 17th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I did a dumb thing (I know better but had a brain fart tonight). Somehow I managed to wipe the contents of my Windows and Ubuntu partitions off my netbook's harddrive, but grub remains in the mbr. I wanted to restore the netbook using its built-in recovery, but grub comes up and fails. So, next I restored using the restore CDs I made (glad I made them). Again, at boot, grub comes up and fails. Using an ubuntu LiveCD and can see it did recreate the Windows XP partition, but with grub gone I can't boot. Trying the "Boot from hard disk" option on the LiveCD just gives me the grub error again.

I know if I had an actual Windows XP disk I could restore the MBR quite quickly, but there is no such thing with this netbook - just the recovery partition and the restore disks. So, I went looking around and it appears that the super grub disk is supposed to let me actually boot a partition even if the MBR is messed up. So, I went looking for super grub - found the supergrub site and it is all messed up like someone was playing around at creating a website and never finished it. Went to (I think) freshmeat something and found super grub there, but it downloads as a .bz2 file - I'm on Windows on my desktop right now so I can't access that file either.

Any help on pointing me to a super grub disk image I can work with in Windows, or for that matter any way to restore the Windows XP MBR without the Windows disk would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Dave ;)

Elfy
August 17th, 2010, 07:39 AM
How odd - looked ok the other day.

I have a copy of it here - if you PM me an address I can send it to you.

JBAlaska
August 17th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Here's a Link (http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10921) to super_grub_disk_hybrid-1.98s1.iso

anewguy
August 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM
How odd - looked ok the other day.

I have a copy of it here - if you PM me an address I can send it to you.

Thanks! That and a quick run of the free program mbrfix did it!

Dave ;)