PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Computer no longer showing on network

adam_himself
August 16th, 2010, 11:01 PM
So, a day or two ago my uBuntu machine was showing fine to my Macbook. They are both hard wired to my router. I could see it on my Macbook and even transfer files to my shared folder. But, today my uBuntu machine (named black_box) is no longer showing to my Macbook (named white_box).

The only things that have changed since then is installing of gufw and some other security things.

My Macbook (white_box) is pinging when I "ping 192.168.1.102" but inside of "Places" in Mac OS X "black_box" isn't showing up. I have two folders I am sharing. Like I said, it was working just fine 2 days ago...

Is there a port or something I need to open? If so, whats the proper way?

Thanks,
Adam

hudsonl
August 16th, 2010, 11:09 PM
So, a day or two ago my uBuntu machine was showing fine to my Macbook. They are both hard wired to my router. I could see it on my Macbook and even transfer files to my shared folder. But, today my uBuntu machine (named black_box) is no longer showing to my Macbook (named white_box).

The only things that have changed since then is installing of gufw and some other security things.

My Macbook (white_box) is pinging when I "ping 192.168.1.102" but inside of "Places" in Mac OS X "black_box" isn't showing up. I have two folders I am sharing. Like I said, it was working just fine 2 days ago...

Is there a port or something I need to open? If so, whats the proper way?

Thanks,
Adam

First thing I would do is test to see if ufw is what is blocking you ..

Open a terminal and type:
> sudo ufw disable

If you can then see the Ubuntu machine from your Macbook ... you know that's where you need to open a port.

Check out "Opening the UFW Firewall for Samba" in

http://ubuntu.swerdna.org/ubulanprimer.html#firewall

adam_himself
August 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Nope that didn't fix it.

adam_himself
August 16th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Odd. It just came online. I typed "sudo tuncfg" and now its online...

What the hell? I felt like that might have something to do with it.

Can someone explain this? lol:lolflag:

EDIT: Its only letting me access some folders. Its saying a folder I have shared isnt available, even though I have it set to sharing...

EDIT AGAIN: LOL! I think I might have figured it out....

What would tuncfg have to do with it?

hudsonl
August 16th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Nope that didn't fix it.

Weird ... then it must be one of the "other security changes" that were made ?

You could always try a reboot first on the Ubuntu box ... but disabling ufw should have took affect without a reboot ... but you never know.

adam_himself
August 16th, 2010, 11:53 PM
So, I transferred most of the files I wanted to... so I decided to restart both systems and see what that did for me...

Well, I restarted typed sudo tuncfg and it didn't work. So, I am beginning to think that has NOTHING to do with it showing up.

I am looking at my Mac as we type this and its not showing up. Still pinging each other though.

Wow... as I was typing this is popped up on the network. Maybe it is UFW and my Mac is taking a real long time to establish network connections? I dunno...

I am getting rid of Mac OS X... way too many headaches. I am going to put uBuntu Netbook Edition on it :P Thats the whole reason I wanted to move those files off it via my network.

Thanks for your help hudsonl!