PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hosting Multiple Sites

baudday
August 15th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Okay, I've been away from Ubuntu for a while, tried Novell, and didn't like it, so now I'm back and excited about some of the changes I've seen made to Ubuntu Server.

Recently I've been earning money doing web development, php, html/css, MySQL and so on. What I have encountered a lot are clients that need a complete solution. They need their site built, but they also need a hosting solution. I've sent more than just a few clients off to GoDaddy, and quite frankly, I'd like to cash in on some of that.

It would do wonders for my business if I could offer them a hosting solution with full support on top of building their site. My problem is I have no idea how to do this. So I'd like to know how I can host multiple sites on the same server. Does anyone know of a nice guide I can follow to set this up? It's really important that I can add sites fairly easily over the internet. Since I will be away at school, I won't have direct access to the server. Also, what is the best open source alternative to cPanel?

Thanks for the help!

mdlueck
August 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I do not know of GUI "control panel" programs that are compatible with Ubuntu. Years ago I would have been interested in such, any more... "skip the hassles the CP's introduce and just admin the real way."

To host multiple sites, then you need to learn how to admin Apache in a multi-site configuration, and and and...

baudday
August 15th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I do not know of GUI "control panel" programs that are compatible with Ubuntu. Years ago I would have been interested in such, any more... "skip the hassles the CP's introduce and just admin the real way."

To host multiple sites, then you need to learn how to admin Apache in a multi-site configuration, and and and...

Something like cPanel would just be really convenient to allow customers to do some of the things themselves. As far as the multi-site configuration goes, I've been reading a bit, and I have found a simple way in which to set up apache so that it won't be much of a hassle to add sites.

rubylaser
August 15th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Why not just use ISPconfig?
http://www.ispconfig.org/

baudday
August 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Why not just use ISPconfig?
http://www.ispconfig.org/

That looks great thanks! I'll have to look into it a little further, but it looks right along the lines of what I need.