PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] revert install usb to regular usb on mac

wolf99
August 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hi Folks

I made a usb install drive on a mac by following the instructions on the ubuntu download page, but had problems getting the GRUB loader to run the USB at boot on the DreamLinux PC i wanted to install it on, so I have now sorted access to a CD writer to make a liveCD.

However I need to convert the USB FDD back to just a regular FDD for my mother to use. I am not at all familiar with Macs, or the terminal utilities (though I am able to use the terminal to some degree) so would appreciate help with this procedure or a pointer to some steps to do it.

Currently the drive is named Ubuntu 10.04 LTS when it mounts on mac, before the img write it was just untitled, I cannot delete the ubuntu files from it or write new ones, and I don't know how to do a reformat on a mac.

I need he drive to be able to work again with windows and mac... so will need to reformat to FAT32 I guess??

thanks for any help :)

BTW am using a Mac notebook running OSX 10.5.8 and its a 2GB USB Flash thumb drive.

wolf99
August 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Ok, so for anyone else looking for this, I didn't find any answer to it yet.

But I stuck the drive into an XP machine and when I clicked on the drive icon it told me the drive was not formatted and would I like to do that? I clicked yes and it took about 10 seconds, seems ok now.
Although I haven't tried it in any other OS system yet...