PDA

View Full Version : Whats your opinion about 'Inception'?

amitabhishek
August 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Its kind of late to seek opinion considering the movie is out for a month now. I have not seen it yet but I am certainly planning to do so. The feedback that I have got have been extreme; from very positive to negative. Did you guys like it?

PartisanEntity
August 15th, 2010, 10:39 AM
A very enjoyable movie. I liked the idea and found it to be original. The effects were spectacular, and the actors fit their roles. Highly recommendable.

nerdtron
August 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Its kind of late to seek opinion considering the movie is out for a month now. I have not seen it yet but I am certainly planning to do so. The feedback that I have got has been extreme; from very positive to negative. Did you guys like it?

IMO, the ideas/theories about dreams, how you can control the dream, and the idea of 'inception' of the movie was great. However, the execution of the film was not good. If you're not paying attention, you'll get confused on the storyline. But still, I recommend it.

NovaAesa
August 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Best movie I have seen this year. Yes, the plot can potentially be confusing if you are not paying attention, but this is counteracted by the movie drawing you in and forcing you to pay attention :P

Meizirkki
August 15th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Inception is the best movie of the year so far. The idea is very interesting and complicated, and may be hard to figure out if you aren't familiar with different dreamstates and things like Lucid Dreaming which are not just thing in a movie, but very real facts about our own brain activity while asleep.

Due to the complicated idea, and IMO way too much action scenes.. it was kinda hard to get completely immersed into it. Nevertheless it is a good movie and definitely worth watching in a big screen of the cinema :)

Nick_Jinn
August 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Is this along the same lines of 'Waking life' or possible Carlos Castenedas 'The Art of Dreaming'?

gnomeuser
August 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I really want to go watch this, hopefully it will still be in the cinema in Brazil early next month so I can invite my fiancée (going alone never really appealled to me).

handy
August 15th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Is this along the same lines of 'Waking life' or possible Carlos Castenedas 'The Art of Dreaming'?

Yes, & "Being in Dreaming" by Florinda Donner, who was one of the members of the Castaneda inner circle. From memory after the God Father of the New Age, died of cancer, Florinda & another woman of the inner circle took themselves out into the desert & committed suicide. Probably in an effort to join their master in the other dream world...

Lucid dreaming is apparently a very important part of the more advanced (at least the Tibetan) Buddhist meditation practice.

Nick_Jinn
August 15th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Well, I find it very interesting, but I think I am going to wait until my natural life cycle expires before I go exploring whatever might be on the other side.

handy
August 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Well, I find it very interesting, but I think I am going to wait until my natural life cycle expires before I go exploring whatever might be on the other side.

The problem that various schools of practice see here is that if we don't prepare ourselves for the experience of death, then the consciousness of the truth that we are dead & the reality of the experience are very quickly swallowed by illusory dream consciousness.

Anyway, we aren't really allowed to tread too far down the path of this topic in these forums these days so I guess we should leave it at to each his own... ;)

themilan0
August 15th, 2010, 12:41 PM
my first comment and its for you :).. consider yourself lucky :p but i have not seen the movie yet..
but i have got great reviews from my friends.. i hope it's not disappointing ..
good luck with the movie ;)

Superkoop
August 15th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Inception was incredible! I absolutely loved it! I went with my girlfriend, and both her and I were totally immersed in the movie. It's certainly the movie of the year, and one to watch a few times! It's really complicated, so it's easy to miss things. But I guess I'll end up watching it a dozen times through the next couple years, and things will be ironed out. :)

NightwishFan
August 15th, 2010, 09:08 PM
The casting was amazing. A lot of new and old favorites, and Hans Zimmer did the music. It was the first film I watched in a theatre in a long time. Overall I liked it though the plot was a bit over the top, I liked their visualization of limbo.

Legendary_Bibo
August 16th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I saw it a couple days ago, it's a pretty good movie. It sometimes makes you think.

Nick_Jinn
August 16th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Anyway, we aren't really allowed to tread too far down the path of this topic in these forums these days so I guess we should leave it at to each his own... ;)

Death to Tyrants!

handy
August 16th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Death to Tyrants!

If you had of seen the mess we made here in The Backyard sub-forum in times gone by, you would understand why they changed the CoC.

Many people are easily insulted; become aggressive in the defence of their belief system; or just become irrational when driven by their strong emotional responses to the input of others...

This causes no end of trouble when people are reporting each other left right & centre to the mods, then arguing with the mods.

Who needs it?

It is a shame we don't know how to debate with mutual respect, as at its best The Backyard was an incredibly stimulating & educational venue for discussion/debate.

murderslastcrow
August 16th, 2010, 01:25 AM
There are many elements of the movie that were superb, and everyone has their own reasons for liking it.

Here's what you should know- the film won't patronize you, or assume you're a stupid American, and if you are pretty shallow-minded you might be confused by some of the elements of the film. Some people I came out of the movie with didn't understand the significance within the movie because they weren't really paying attention.

So, while I don't know which part of the movie you will like most, I can assure you that you're going to enjoy some part of it.

DeadSuperHero
August 16th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Inception was quite possibly the best movie I've ever seen, topping my current favorite, Fight Club.

I loved the whole "dream-within-a-dream-within-a-dream" concept, and thought every piece of the story was well-orchestrated and well-thought out.

Highly recommend it.

cartman640
August 16th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I loved it, nice to see a movie that actually requires a bit of thought, not obviously spelled out/mindless action.

PSioNiC STRaNGLeR
August 16th, 2010, 03:08 AM
it's a must see in the theater and i say see it twice because the second time is much more enjoyable- if you liked the first matrix movie then this is on track with that- less philosophy but more psychology - enjoy the ride:popcorn:

M93
August 16th, 2010, 03:17 AM
i find it the best movie this summer :)

redfox1160
August 16th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I really liked it, and I would definitely recommend it.

drawkcab
August 16th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Inception is better than The Matrix but it's not a masterpiece like 2001 Space Odyssey. It's an extremely ambitious and entertaining film. I'm glad that the studios went all out and that it has been a commercial success.

I don't think you need to be super smart to follow what is going on. It's not conceptually challenging once you get the primary idea out on the table. You do need to stay alert however. What surprised me most about this movie was that it maintained a ridiculously fast pace for being a 2.5 hour film! It can be a bit exhausting that way.

Anyway, it's one of the few films I would see again. Go see it!

murderslastcrow
August 16th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I didn't think you had to be super smart, either. As I watched the film I was so glad they didn't patronize the audience, and I assumed everyone understood.

But some people are really... THICK.

handy
August 16th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Inception is better than The Matrix but it's not a masterpiece like 2001 Space Odyssey. ...

2001 Space Odyssey, is a great movie, especially in its time. But boy is it slow. I could never consider it to be a masterpiece.

Kubrick may have chosen to make the movie so slow to give people more of an impression of the immense distances in space & such. Even so, many people find & found the incredibly slow pace to take a lot away from their enjoyment of the movie.

marshmallow1304
August 16th, 2010, 05:50 AM
It was enjoyable, but I wasn't blown away.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is excellent, DiCaprio is OK, and Ellen Page is meh.
It's an extraordinarily complex movie and it will make you think fairly constantly to keep up. The effects were great and well-used.
The beginning is very well done and it ties in nicely later on. Unfortunately, the ending ruined it for me. Not only is it cheesy, but it completely fell apart as soon as I started to think about it.

All in all, I'd say it's worth seeing, at least once or twice.

drawkcab
August 16th, 2010, 06:04 AM
2001 Space Odyssey, is a great movie, especially in its time. But boy is it slow. I could never consider it to be a masterpiece.

Kubrick may have chosen to make the movie so slow to give people more of an impression of the immense distances in space & such. Even so, many people find & found the incredibly slow pace to take a lot away from their enjoyment of the movie.

The slow pacing of 2001 is why it is one of my favorites.:P

Nick_Jinn
August 16th, 2010, 06:05 AM
you would understand why they changed the CoC.

Many people are easily insulted; become aggressive in the defence of their belief system; or just become irrational when driven by their strong emotional responses to the input of others...

Somehow I doubt I would be swayed into supporting those changes. I posted here a few times back then and I think it used to be a lot better. I wasnt here every day though. The again, I dont think its a disaster if someone has an unpleasant interaction. Thats life. Move on and accept it.

Based on the reviews so far I am definitely going to have to check out this movie. Unfortunately with a 4 month old its hard to get out of the house so I might have to wait until its out on DVD.

michaelzap
August 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
It was enjoyable, but I wasn't blown away.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is excellent, DiCaprio is OK, and Ellen Page is meh.
It's an extraordinarily complex movie and it will make you think fairly constantly to keep up. The effects were great and well-used.
The beginning is very well done and it ties in nicely later on. Unfortunately, the ending ruined it for me. Not only is it cheesy, but it completely fell apart as soon as I started to think about it.

All in all, I'd say it's worth seeing, at least once or twice.

I pretty much agree with marshmallow1304. It was a smart and entertaining movie, but in the end it's really just another heist movie with little character development and a plot with no larger message. The Matrix was much less "serious" in many respects, but otoh it wasn't just a sci-fi action flick in that its plot was a thinly-veiled critique of modern society. Ditto Brazil.

I was actually a bit disappointed that Inception doesn't really delve into questions of consciousness except as a simple plot device, and it didn't really hit me on an emotional level either. It wasn't disorienting like Memento or Shutter Island or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or thought-provoking like any movie based on a Philip K. **** novel. They explained the whole dream creation/immersion technique so explicitly that it kind of lost any magical fuzziness that could be filled in by your own imagination.

The visual effects were impressive, and you should definitely see it in a quality theater. Then again, I went into the movie with very high expectations of wild dream sequences, and I was disappointed that it felt as if I'd seen all of the best parts in the trailer. They could have done so much more with the basic context of being in a dream world, but they made a slightly freaky heist movie instead.

Despite being ultimately disappointed by it, I recommend that people see it. I enjoyed it, but it didn't make a lasting impression on me. I'm sure the fact that I had such high expectations is a factor in it falling short for me, so if I've lowered yours before you see it, you might enjoy it more.

handy
August 16th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Somehow I doubt I would be swayed into supporting those changes. I posted here a few times back then and I think it used to be a lot better. I wasnt here every day though. The again, I dont think its a disaster if someone has an unpleasant interaction. Thats life. Move on and accept it.

What you or I think is fine really is inconsequential when you are talking about how you have to regulate an arena to protect people who are vulnerable to verbal & emotional attacks on the things to which they are attached & hold in high regard.

The Backyard has probably been closed for 2 years now. Your name is not one I remember from those days. It was very different to anything that was, is or ever will again be allowed in any of the other parts of the UF.

antenna
August 16th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I thought it was decent but not a masterpiece (or even better than The Matrix). Most of the characters were barely developed and the action sequences were fairly dull for the most part, especially given the premise of the movie.

Still, it is better than most and I will be seeing it again.

magmon
August 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I loved it. The story was incredibly intuitive and deep, the concept makes you think, and the ending was left to the viewer to decipher. Excellent.

the yawner
August 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I remember an hour after seeing the movie I was still trying to absorb what I just saw. It was a bit exhausting, especially once the heist has started. And you really need to pay attention in order to keep up with the pace. (Funny, it just made me think of a particular set of sequences as akin to multitasking. Alt-tab, alt-tab, alt-tab.)

RiceMonster
August 16th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Very good movie. Definitely something a bit more creative than what we usually get. Before I saw the movie, I heard many complaints that it was "confusing", but I didn't get that vibe at all. The movie explained itself very clearly - almost too clearly actually. I think I would have enjoyed a little more mystery with the overall concepts of the film. Maybe that's because I was expecting to be figuring out the movie after I watched it. Nonetheless, a very good film, and I highly reccomend going to see it.

empty_spaces
August 16th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Am I the only one who thought the overall concept was taken from "The Thirteenth Floor" movie from 1999?

That's probably why, although I thought Inception was very well made and visually quite stunning, I wasn't as blown away as many people have been.
But I still consider Inception to be one of the better movies of this year.

jpeddicord
August 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I thought it was awesome. There are so many subtle hints in the movie that you don't find out until later on. It was meta enough to keep me entertained. :D

piousp
August 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM
It is a masterpiece for me :P

Little Bones
August 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Instant classic, the idea had never been done before. The actors were all perfect in their roles (DiCap did a fantastic job), and the movie was really well written. Not at any point was I bored, I was really into the movie and I thought about it for days after.

This is going to win big at the Oscars, I would recommend to anyone.

ticopelp
August 16th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I pretty much agree with marshmallow1304. It was a smart and entertaining movie, but in the end it's really just another heist movie with little character development and a plot with no larger message. The Matrix was much less "serious" in many respects, but otoh it wasn't just a sci-fi action flick in that its plot was a thinly-veiled critique of modern society. Ditto Brazil.

I was actually a bit disappointed that Inception doesn't really delve into questions of consciousness except as a simple plot device, and it didn't really hit me on an emotional level either. It wasn't disorienting like Memento or Shutter Island or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or thought-provoking like any movie based on a Philip K. **** novel. They explained the whole dream creation/immersion technique so explicitly that it kind of lost any magical fuzziness that could be filled in by your own imagination.

I actually really disagree -- I thought it was a very character-driven film and did have a strong message about the choices we make in our lives and the impact they have. The question of whether or not what the characters were experiencing was dream or reality seemed very secondary to me.

I think there's some food for thought in Inception about the things we experience and whether "authenticity" really means anything to our emotional context. One of the main characters goes through this emotional journey that's very genuine to him and has a huge impact on his life, even though it's done for very cynical, capitalistic reasons (something one could often say about the medium of film itself, actually). Did it mean any less to him because it was artificially constructed? Probably not. We see this idea played on throughout the film, especially during the final scene.

Comparing it to The Matrix, I have to say that while I really enjoyed Matrix for the pyrotechnics and fight scenes, as a critique of modern society I think it was a failure, especially once the sequels came along. I preferred Inception's approach, which let you draw your own conclusions, as opposed to the Matrix, which by the third film was drowning in its own pseudo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo.

Anyway, tl;dr version; I really liked Inception and thought it was quite a bit more than a simple heist movie. And chalk me up as another person who loves 2001 and doesn't find it too slow at all. :D

Instant classic, the idea had never been done before.

It really has.

Dreamscape
The Cell
The Science of Sleep

Just for starters. I'd say Inception is a far better execution than any of the above, though.

Little Bones
August 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Inception was quite possibly the best movie I've ever seen, topping my current favorite, Fight Club.

I loved the whole "dream-within-a-dream-within-a-dream" concept, and thought every piece of the story was well-orchestrated and well-thought out.

Highly recommend it.

Fight Club is amazing. Inception, The Matrix and Fight Club are easily my top 3.

Little Bones
August 16th, 2010, 08:03 PM
None of those involves going down further into the subconscious and implanting an idea to simulate inspiration (and dealing with people whose subconscious is trained to defend against intruders), Ticopelp.

elwayisgod
August 16th, 2010, 08:15 PM
retarded and so far fetched and ridiculous.. can't believe the hype it's getting...

agntsmyth
August 16th, 2010, 10:12 PM
retarded and so far fetched and ridiculous.. can't believe the hype it's getting...
Apparently he didn't get it.

If you actually watch the movie its deep enough to make you question your reality. Great action scenes on top just add to the movie. Awesome!

ve4cib
August 16th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I saw Inception a couple of weeks ago with my brother. It was definitely one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. Vastly more original and better-written than Avatar, with similarly-stunning effects (though Inception's effects are much more like those in What Dreams may Come -- they're subtle, background effects mostly, with relatively few "wow!" moments).

I've heard a lot of people who didn't like the ending. When I saw it there were cries if "********!" from several seats in the audience. I won't post spoilers, but I'll just say that I quite enjoyed the way they left the ending very open to multiple interpretations.

I'd definitely suggest seeing it. It's the kind of movie most people could probably find something enjoyable in; there are some pretty slick action scenes, some very cerebral and emotional moments, and a very well-rounded, well-directed cast.

jpeddicord
August 17th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I've heard a lot of people who didn't like the ending. When I saw it there were cries if "********!" from several seats in the audience. I won't post spoilers, but I'll just say that I quite enjoyed the way they left the ending very open to multiple interpretations.

The last three seconds make you rethink the entire movie. It's crazy. :D

AliG112
August 17th, 2010, 02:31 AM
The slow pacing of 2001 is why it is one of my favorites.:P

And then followed by the fast paced ending. What a masterpiece! Anyway, I thought Inception was a great film and I loved the ending. :D

amitabhishek
August 17th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks everyone. This weekend I am watching it for sure. BTW I found this Tweet hilarious :)

The main idea of "Inception": if you run a VM inside a VM inside a VM inside a VM, everything will be very slow

the yawner
August 17th, 2010, 07:50 AM
^And if you're working on a document on the deepest VM and shut down the primary VM you'll lose your work forever.

NCLI
August 17th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Great movie, but he's definitely awake in the final scene.

First of all, the top wobbles. It never does that in the dreams. Second, he's not wearing his wedding ring, which he always wears while dreaming.

jpeddicord
August 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Great movie, but he's definitely awake in the final scene.

First of all, the top wobbles. It never does that in the dreams. Second, he's not wearing his wedding ring, which he always wears while dreaming.

There are also cues about the kids' shoes: they're white in the final scene, while everywhere else they're black.

Denis Krajnc
August 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I'm going to watch it tomorow. Some says that is just another high-budget movie. I hope they are mistaken.

wipeout140
August 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Saw it today, a very good film with the person having to think and usage of different ideas and i would recommend the film

ticopelp
August 18th, 2010, 07:52 PM
None of those involves going down further into the subconscious and implanting an idea to simulate inspiration (and dealing with people whose subconscious is trained to defend against intruders), Ticopelp.

The basic idea (influencing people through their dreams) is the same at the core. Anyway, the fact that it isn't 100% original doesn't diminish it at all, it's a tremendous movie IMO.

lovinglinux
November 7th, 2010, 02:57 AM
This is the best movie I have seen in a long time (years) and the best since Matrix.

The most interesting for me is that I have experienced some things proposed by the movie, like a dream inside a dream, stuff happening around in the room influencing events on the dream and the discrepancy in time. I have once dreamed a lot and when I woke up I realized I had slept for about 10 minutes only.

The effects are awesome, the idea is very original and the execution was superb in my opinion. I don't like Leonardo tho.

armageddon08
November 7th, 2010, 04:19 AM
I thought Leonardo was good as the husband of a troubled wife. Strange thing, but in two of his recent movies Leonardo had a crazy wife(the other being Shutter Island).

lovinglinux
November 7th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I thought Leonardo was good as the husband of a troubled wife. Strange thing, but in two of his recent movies Leonardo had a crazy wife(the other being Shutter Island).

He was good. I just don't like him.

NightwishFan
November 7th, 2010, 05:08 AM
He was good. I just don't like him.

I actually hear this a lot. People either just love or hate him. :)

Christian Knudsen
November 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I somehow missed this thread originally, but I just rewatched the movie and it still completely holds up for me. To me, it's one of the most original and ambitious mainstream movies put out by Hollywood in a loooong time. Anyway, I wrote a blog post about my interpretation of the movie's ending:

http://laserbrainstudios.com/2010/08/my-interpretation-of-inceptions-ending/

I argue that he's in a dream in the end, but both interpretations are certainly valid and there's no doubt the entire movie is as ambiguous as it is on purpose in order to not provide a clear answer.

NightwishFan
November 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I would agree with a lot of that and like that you are a fan enough to think about it. Though there are subtle differences between the dream scenes and the the one at the end. So I am assuming it was not one.

Christian Knudsen
November 7th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, there's always stuff pulling in the other direction as soon as you try to explain things too explicitly. One thing I did notice when rewatching the movie, though, was Cobb's reaction when he wakes up on the plane in the end. He has this really puzzled/confused look on his face when he looks at the rest of his team.

At first, I thought this was simply because he didn't remember how he woke up from the Limbo with Saito, or the jump from four layers of dreams to reality was just very jarring. On second viewing, it occured to me that he has this look on his face because he's come to realize that the world he believed to be real is also just a dream. He looks at the other members of his team in this weird manner because he now realizes that they're not real.

When Cobb has the conversation with Saito in Limbo, some of the dialogue has been switched around from the "same" scene in the opening of the film, and he gets this look of realization on his face when he says that he came to remind Saito "that his world isn't real", as if he realizes that this applies to himself as well. Which would mean that nothing in the film is real. It's all just a dream.

And when Cobb realizes this in the end, he also realizes that he can do whatever he wants. He can shape the dream (his "reality") however he wants. So he shapes it into a world where he can go home to his kids, symbolized by Saito's "single phonecall".