PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 Minimal install

Gorilllanobaka
August 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Right ..Looks like my Linux-fu skills are not as good as i thought they are..:D

I am currently working on a minimal install for my underpowered 7 years old laptop..

I had tried the to do the same thing before but using a server install cd instead....Worked perfectly but no sounds....

After a lot of reading i found out that the servers are not supposed to have sound and all that (Which make a lot of sense ) ,so back to the square one!!

Again I have installed on my low-spec'ed computer a minimal install using Ubuntu 10.04 Minimal CD Image this time and here is what i did so far:

As soon as i had the CLI Ubuntu installed i went trough this steps:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install xorg xterm icewm menu gksu synaptic --no-install-recommends rox-filer my seamonkey browser , flash conky alsa-base alsa-utils alsa -oss linux-sound-base

Afterwards i sudo usermod -a -G audio myself

And i tried to run alsaconf (Spoiled by Puppy Linux) of curse it did not worked and after doing some serious reading i found out the reason why...

I run a alsamixer un-muted everything pop-ed up the volume to the max (On all the devices)

I sudo alsactl init then rebooted and tried to test my sound..No joy...:(

Right now i am kinda stuck I have no other idea what do do next in order to get the sound working...

Looks like there is something i do wrong but i`ll be damn if i understand what..

(Reading the effing manual it did not helped in my case as my gorilla brain is just to thick to make make it work...:D)

So... the million $ question is ..what I am doing wrong ???

Thanks in advance

PS: I would really like to make it work because i love how little RAM this setup uses..

Here`s a screen shot ...Please ignore the messed up conky (I am still working on it..)
Look instead of the uptime, load, and the ram usage and you will see why i would really like to make it work..

Cheers!

http://i36.tinypic.com/m9vt5y.jpg

Gorilllanobaka
August 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
/BUMP....??

Really....??? You`ve got to be kidding...

On all this this huge Ubuntu forum (multinational one..meaning people from all over THE PLANET post ) there is no one who`s got ANY idea at all??

No one has got any idea on what i am doing wrong and why my sound is not working??

Ubuntu is a linux distribution focus'ed on making things simple and easy for new comers and experts alike.

Oh well, there always Slackware`s net installs (At least there i do not have to go creative about adding my start up scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and the services make a lot more sense...)