PDA

View Full Version : Any dragon ball/manga anime fans here ?

neoargon
August 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Iam a big fan of dragon ball anime . I have completed seeing dragon ball and dragon ball z series . What are the other good manga animation series that are as good as dragonball series ? Since I have finished seeing dragonball series, I have nothing to see now.

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Take a look at Ubunchu.

neoargon
August 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM
It's funny . A manga about Ubuntu ? How good is it ?. I'll see it any way .

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I hope for more, but I wish we had that kind of club in our school. Here, we simply waste tax money on hiring someone for it.

magmon
August 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Hellsing. Short, but among the gods of both Anime and Manga.

<-------- Alucard, the character that redefined both over-powered and vampire.

NightwishFan
August 15th, 2010, 08:15 AM
His voice is overpowered; due to the mighty Crispin.

I should say I like most Anime. If you like Dragonball/Z you might like:

Saiyuki
Samurai Champloo
Outlaw Star
Getbackers
Black Lagoon

etc etc..

Edit: Oh yeah, ANYTHING by Studio Ghibli.

drawkcab
August 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I'm gunna catch hell for this but I've been a Naruto fan for a long time. I feel like dragonball was charming at first and then descended into a huge waste of time. Naruto, on the other hand, gets better with every season. Instead of randomly expanding the universe like dragonball or bleach, Naruto has been maturing by focusing itself on interesting social and political questions.

NightwishFan
August 15th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I do not mind Naruto though I will say I do agree about Bleach. It originally had the potential to build on classics such as YuYu Hakusho, but it ended up doing what DBZ/GT did with 'main character power syndrome' and distorting the plot.

magmon
August 15th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I do not mind Naruto though I will say I do agree about Bleach. It originally had the potential to build on classics such as YuYu Hakusho, but it ended up doing what DBZ/GT did with 'main character power syndrome' and distorting the plot.

Just because at the start of DBZ Goku's power level was 350 and at the end of the series it was 150,000,000,000 doesn't mean that powers got distorted... Okay, maybe a little. Can't vouch for Bleach.

NightwishFan
August 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Just because at the start of DBZ Goku's power level was 350 and at the end of the series it was 150,000,000,000 doesn't mean that powers got distorted... Okay, maybe a little. Can't vouch for Bleach.

Quite. I just mean I prefer the series as it was early on.

jc87
August 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Naruto, no anime captured me as much since dragon ball.

Other animes/mangas i recommend are:

Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood - Great character development
Claymore - Fantastic story IMHO
Bleach - watching it now seems cool so far
Soul Eater
Neo Genesis Evangelion - A story not for everyone
Hellsing - See the Ultimate Hellsing Ovas, the tv series sucked
Ranma 1/2
Rurouni Kenshin

Also you can try dragon ball kai, is basically Z remastered with higher definition and without the sucky fillers.

CharlesA
August 15th, 2010, 10:35 AM
+1 for Outlaw Star, haven't watched it in ages, but I did like it when I did.

Used to watch DBZ, but don't any longer, I think I finished up the Buu Saga then called it quits.

Islington
August 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
serial experiments Lain :popcorn:

Bapun007
August 15th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Since dbz ended now bleach and naruto are my favourite .

Zzl1xndd
August 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
My taste is likely a little different from most but here are some of my Favorites.

Guyver
Serial Experiment Lain
SoulTaker
Requiem From the Darkness
Infinite Ryvius
Captain Harlock (* Sometimes spelled Herlock)
Godannar
Samurai X
Chrono Crusade
Elfen Lied
Gun Grave
Samurai Champloo
Ninja Scroll series/movie (if you don't mind a little over the top gore)
Vampire Hunter D & Vamprire Hunter D: Bloodlust (Movies)
Galaxy Express 999 (movie)

neoargon
August 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I think I will see naruto and bleach the next. Then others . I saw the first few episodes of naruto shipoden but didn't like it . .But judging by just few episodes from the middle isn't the right thing

JDShu
August 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I recommend watching Naruto first as well. Bleach is good up to a point (then went downhill). One Piece is my favorite of the big 3.

other popular shounen: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Kenshin, Inuyasha, Hunter x Hunter, Fairy Tail, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, .Hack, s-cry-ed, Tenchi Muyou, Slayers

I quite enjoy some sports (non-fighting) manga/anime such as: Eyeshield 21, Prince of Tennis, Yakitate Japan, and Cooking Master Boy

chris200x9
August 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM

http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/56/original/over9000.jpg

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 06:58 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/56/original/over9000.jpg
I think I just lol'ed.

drawkcab
August 16th, 2010, 03:28 AM

Yeah, the first season of Bleach was really good...and then it advanced the plot by ridiculous addition to the universe. Huge disappointment.

drawkcab
August 16th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I think I will see naruto and bleach the next. Then others . I saw the first few episodes of naruto shipoden but didn't like it . .But judging by just few episodes from the middle isn't the right thing

Stick with Naruto for a while. The first season orients you to the universe but is really slow. The second and third seasons become a lot more interesting.

magmon
August 16th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Quite. I just mean I prefer the series as it was early on.

I was being sarcastic =P. Power was obviously distorted, and the viewers always kept having to ask if the new power reading was good or not, why everyone in the universe grows at the same rate, and why no one more powerful than Goku ever shows up xD.

NightwishFan
August 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Still it was what made my elementary school days was wait for that show to come on. :)

neoargon
August 16th, 2010, 09:14 AM

I actually like the 'main character power syndrome'

Grenage
August 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I used to quite enjoy both Bleach and Naruto, but the amount of filler bored the hell out of me; now I just read the Manga.

I think that anime is at its best with the 'standard' length series, around 12-28 episodes. You can get some cracking story and character development without the never-ending bloat.

If you want relatively mindless action, stuff like Claymore, Chrome Shelled Regios, Samurai Deeper Kyo etc will probably fit the bill. Don't be afraid to branch out to comedy/slice of life series, imho they are the best of anime.

Random_Dude
August 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I used to be a DB fan (in the 90s) and I also used to watch Naruto but I got sick of it.

The big problems with long running shonen series is the amount of fillers and they get kind of predictable.
I prefer seinen series with a maximum of 26 episodes. You get a good story with enough development and without fillers. ;)

Cheers :cool:

RiceMonster
August 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I like anime, but I don't really like never ending action series Naruto or Bleach. I don't really like Dragon Ball either.

I think that anime is at its best with the 'standard' length series, around 12-28 episodes. You can get some cracking story and character development without the never-ending bloat.

If you want relatively mindless action, stuff like Claymore, Chrome Shelled Regios, Samurai Deeper Kyo etc will probably fit the bill. Don't be afraid to branch out to comedy/slice of life series, imho they are the best of anime.

I agree, though 50 episode series can be fine too. Anything more than that gets too long and drawn out for me.

reyfer
August 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hellsing
Blood +
And if you want to really, and I mean REALLY, have a laugh at absurd stuff, watch Excel Saga....but don't do what i did, I dared to have an Excel saga marathon and......well.....it is like coming out of an acid trip

drawkcab
August 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Yah, that is true. With Naruto you have to put up with a lot of silly filler sometimes.

KrisInfinity
August 16th, 2010, 10:45 PM
I used to be addicted to very DBZ when i was little (as everyone in the neighbourhood).

But now some animes I really enjoyed are:

Death Note (the best ever!!)
Code Geass (incredible plot)
Full Metal Alchemist / Brotherhood (great characters)

jc87
August 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM
If you want relatively mindless action, stuff like Claymore, Chrome Shelled Regios, Samurai Deeper Kyo etc will probably fit the bill.

From those you mentioned I only know Claymore, and is probably one of the most violent animes I ever watched, but I would hardly call it mindless action because IMHO the story is profound, and the character development great.

Off course is just my opinion.

he big problems with long running shonen series is the amount of fillers and they get kind of predictable.

You can always choose to ignore the fillers and watch only the "good stuff", is what I do, for me the problem is not usually the size or duration, but how faithful is the adaptation of the manga, because when the story deviates from what the original author created, in my experience it tends to suck A LOT.

For instance compare the first Fullmetal alchemist anime adaptation (51 episodes) which only adapts the first parts of the manga (and goes all berserk after that) to the Brotherhood version (64 episodes) which follows the manga more closely, and tell me which one is better, I could mention a bunch animes which were "butchered" because they stopped following the manga plot, and finished with either a crappy improvised ending, or the worst arcs possible.

risegeek
August 17th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Dragonball series is really great, I used to watch it all the time on Toonami. I really like Bleach - watch it!

Random_Dude
August 17th, 2010, 02:42 AM
You can always choose to ignore the fillers and watch only the "good stuff", is what I do, for me the problem is not usually the size or duration, but how faithful is the adaptation of the manga, because when the story deviates from what the original author created, in my experience it tends to suck A LOT.

For instance compare the first Fullmetal alchemist anime adaptation (51 episodes) which only adapts the first parts of the manga (and goes all berserk after that) to the Brotherhood version (64 episodes) which follows the manga more closely, and tell me which one is better, I could mention a bunch animes which were "butchered" because they stopped following the manga plot, and finished with either a crappy improvised ending, or the worst arcs possible.

Agreed, usually the more it deviates from the manga, the worst.
I just don't watch shonen anymore because I've started to watch seinen and I can find something that I like more easily than with shonen. Now I find shonen series rather slow (even if they don't have fillers) and not as good.
Although, there are somethings that seinen has that I absolutely hate and I fear that are becoming more common like: ecchi, fanservice, lolicon, etc...
This things are killing the anime quality IMHO.

Grenage
August 17th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I agree, though 50 episode series can be fine too. Anything more than that gets too long and drawn out for me.

That's true; I enjoyed Kenichi and Noir, and I think they were quite long.

From those you mentioned I only know Claymore, and is probably one of the most violent animes I ever watched, but I would hardly call it mindless action because IMHO the story is profound, and the character development great

I think it is a great series (bar the cop-out ending), I just meant that it had a good amount of action in it.

NCLI
August 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Huge anime/manga fan here, have been since I was 13.

You can see my animelist (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sephiroth_VII&show=0&order=4) for recommendations(Basically anything I've rated 7 or higher), but if you like Dragonball, you'll probably like Naruto, One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

My favourite anime of all time is definitely Neon Genesis Evangelion though, so I'd say you should give it a watch :D

Agreed, usually the more it deviates from the manga, the worst.
I just don't watch shonen anymore because I've started to watch seinen and I can find something that I like more easily than with shonen. Now I find shonen series rather slow (even if they don't have fillers) and not as good.
Although, there are somethings that seinen has that I absolutely hate and I fear that are becoming more common like: ecchi, fanservice, lolicon, etc...
This things are killing the anime quality IMHO.

Nothing wrong with fanservice now and then, nor with lolicon for that matter(Though I have a feeling some will vehemently disagree with me there), but it's started to get a little too much for me as well. Thankfully, the best series usually don't have all that much fanservice, so you just have to stay away from the series that do if you don't like it.

Random_Dude
August 17th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Thankfully, the best series usually don't have all that much fanservice, so you just have to stay away from the series that do if you don't like it.

True. The problem is that it seems that a bigger portion of the new series that come out have too much fanservice. Or maybe it's just me...
So I feel it's getting harder to find good ones. :\

Fanservice is not that bad if the story is good enough to compensate. One of my favourite series (Elfen Lied) has a lot of fanservice, but I think that the story manages to be good enough so that it doesn't revolve around naked mutant girls.

Grenage
August 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM
One of my favourite series (Elfen Lied) has a lot of fanservice, but I think that the story manages to be good enough so that it doesn't revolve around naked mutant girls.

I really liked that series, but it's definitely not one for kids. Hell of an opening 5 minutes.

neoargon
August 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Huge anime/manga fan here, have been since I was 13.

You can see my animelist (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sephiroth_VII&show=0&order=4) for recommendations(Basically anything I've rated 7 or higher), but if you like Dragonball, you'll probably like Naruto, One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

My favourite anime of all time is definitely Neon Genesis Evangelion though, so I'd say you should give it a watch :D

Nothing wrong with fanservice now and then, nor with lolicon for that matter(Though I have a feeling some will vehemently disagree with me there), but it's started to get a little too much for me as well. Thankfully, the best series usually don't have all that much fanservice, so you just have to stay away from the series that do if you don't like it.

wow . It's a list for the life time .

ZarathustraDK
August 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM

...or challenge yourself by watching Agent Aika :) (somebody sat down and counted 142 panty-shots in one 25min episode). The story sucks, the villain has a questionably relationship to his sister, and every henchman is a girl in a schoolgirl-outfit. It's so bad it's hilarious.

As for the MyAnimelist, I've only recently passed 100 completed series (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ZarathustraDK&status=7&order=0).

As for great shows: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, quite gory but masterful "who's the murderer?"-kinda thing that makes you check under the bed for little girls with meat-axes before you go to bed.

cuongjj
August 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I'm an anime fan as well! Whats up guys??

I am heavily into Bleach and Naruto at the moment. To be honest, I haven't properly watched the Dragon ball series. Although at the moment, I am trying to get into Full Metal Achemist, however, I find it very hard to get into.. Not sure why. My friends has seen it 3 times and he says its life changing.. But I can't get into it.

I have seen Claymore and Hellsing, both are short but very action packed.

Sashin
August 19th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Dragon ball and Dragon ball Z are the ultimate anime, no doubt about that.

(I like fighting, not talking or thinking).

But after those too I'd say One piece! Story about pirates in a pirate world that do pirate things. Yugioh is also cool if you either read the manga, or start watching at season 0.

Grenage
August 19th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Dragon ball and Dragon ball Z are the ultimate anime, no doubt about that.

Hey, come on; DBZ has more standing around, talking and glaring than any other anime in the history of the world!

Random_Dude
August 19th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hey, come on; DBZ has more standing around, talking and glaring than any other anime in the history of the world!

Agreed. Extremely long a boring fighting sequences.

The first Dragon Ball is an awesome classic though.

Calash
August 19th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Agreed. Extremely long a boring fighting sequences.

The first Dragon Ball is an awesome classic though.

Nickelodeon is playing the DBZ Kai series. A lot of the standing around and filler stuff has been cut out.

So far it has been going at a good pace and I am really enjoying watching the fights again.

Full Metal Alchemist is another one to watch.

And I will probably get yelled at for this, but early episodes of Inuyasha were quite enjoyable. Later stuff got a bit redundant with repetitive story lines and power creep the likes of which had not been seen since Dragon Ball GT :lolflag:

mendhak
August 19th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Bleach is good, but the fillers (and there are lots) are annoying and can melt your brain to mush.
Naruto is actually Naruto and then Naruto Shippuden. Naruto itself is fun and childish, Shippuuden is a bit darker and a lot of things happen...

You may also want to check out Death Note, which is an intellectual battle of sorts, lots of details so you have to keep track of what's going on, no dumbed down storyline.