PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Python 2.7

Segofam
August 15th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I have installed Python 2.7 but I can't open it. I can see it when I open command line and CD ~/Python-2.7 but how do I run/open it after that?

[It's been 20+ years since I looked at this stuff!]

Sincerely,

Scott

DanielWaterworth
August 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM
If you've "make install"ed it, then it should work under the command "python". The first line of the output will tell you if you have succeeded.

Segofam
August 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
If you've "make install"ed it, then it should work under the command "python". The first line of the output will tell you if you have succeeded.

Sorry Daniel, I don't understand!

GregBrannon
August 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
If you open a terminal window - get to the command line interface (CLI) - and type "python" <return> (without the quotes), you should get few lines describing the version of python installed and then a change in your prompt (the thing before the cursor) that tells you you've entered the python interpreter.

We need help understanding what you do and don't understand. Can you get to the terminal (CLI)? Where are you getting stuck, where are we losing you?

DanielWaterworth
August 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Sorry Daniel, I don't understand!
Sorry, this is my fault. I'm learning a new keyboard layout atm (dvorak) and I'm only up to 10wpm and therefore I'm not being as verbose as per usual.

Thanks Greg for explaining what I meant. :P

Segofam
August 17th, 2010, 08:49 AM
If you open a terminal window - get to the command line interface (CLI) - and type "python" <return> (without the quotes), you should get few lines describing the version of python installed and then a change in your prompt (the thing before the cursor) that tells you you've entered the python interpreter.

We need help understanding what you do and don't understand. Can you get to the terminal (CLI)? Where are you getting stuck, where are we losing you?

Sorry, this is my fault. I'm learning a new keyboard layout atm (dvorak) and I'm only up to 10wpm and therefore I'm not being as verbose as per usual.

Thanks Greg for explaining what I meant. :P

Thank you both :)

I am up and running, now I just have to learn. I will perservere with what I am doing, and when I get stuck on something - which probably won't be too far way :-/ - I will do a search, and then a thread if needed.

Thanks again.