PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Emerald theme creation tutorial?

fredbird67
August 15th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Does anyone know of a good Emerald theme creation tutorial online? I saw on here where someone else posted a similar question and got a response, but the link for it led to a page that gave me a 403 (forbidden) error message. I've also Googled this one and am having a tough time finding ANYTHING on the subject.

Here's the deal: I have an idea for a series of Christmas themes (3 variations on a GTK theme, 2 variations on an Xfwm theme, and 3 variations on an icon theme) that I plan to do sometime this fall in my spare time. This past spring, I switched from GNOME to Xfce as my desktop environment of choice, mainly due to the attitudes of a few certain people on GNOME-Look that I got to where I had it up to here with.

Besides, this past spring, I had discovered a Ubuntu-based distro (PC/OS) that is one of VERY few distros that offers built-in support for the Broadcom wireless card in our laptop, and it uses Xfce for its default desktop, anyways. But I digress...

Anyways, I just happened to think that if I wish to also run the Compiz "snow" effect, as far as I know, I won't be able to do so with Xfwm, and the Compiz Fusion icon doesn't make it possible to run Xfwm and Compiz effects at the same time (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, though, and if this is possible, tell me how it's done). True, I could run xsnow for snow effects, but last December, I remembered that I liked the Compiz snow effects much better than xsnow.

Therefore, in order to be able to pull all of this off, I'd like to also make the window borders available as Emerald themes as well, in addition to Xfwm, for those who can't (or won't) do Compiz. If anyone knows of a good online tutorial for this, or can take the time to tell me what all is involved here, I'd really, really appreciate it.

Thanx in advance,
Fred in St. Louis

aaronjsmith21
May 17th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Hey Fred, get this, if you are still able to recevie notifications from here, it is almost 2 years later and still there is not a easy to find information on creating emerald themes anywhere! Did you ever find any information, this is about to make me figure it all out for myself and write a blog post on a how-to for this. :lolflag:

Well, hope this either makes this bumped so someone will finally answer or you get this to help here.

Thanks,
Aaron J Smith

3Miro
May 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Emerald is no longer supported, very few people have managed to get it working at all and yet fewer find it useful. Naturally the Emerald tutorials are no longer maintained and hence the pages have closed.

Some tutorial may be still standing (by some miracle), but at this point the best advice would be to move away from Emerald.