PDA

View Full Version : If you were considering hiring me...

Warpnow
August 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I'm about to graduate college with a degree in Economics, however...

My school has mishandled or lost my application for graduation. I have completed all of the requirements. The pre-stamped version is on file with my advisor, but the stamped version is what matters. I remember getting it stamped, and they made me a carbon copy, but in my foolishness, I seem to have lost it.

Right now, I am unsure what will happen. Either...

1) The head of academic records graduates me anyway, and all is normal and fine. I'm in contact with her, but am unsure if she'll be nice to me.

2) They delay my graduation until december, but in the mean time, I get a letter from my school that certifies I've completed the coursework and am complete for graduation in December.

If you were hiring, what would option 2 tell you? Would you be as likely, or less likely, to hire me than if I had a physical Diploma? I've never heard of this before, but they claim it is pretty common. Was just wondering.

Hopefully option 1 becomes the case, but I was just curious if anyone knows much about the situation.

Also, totally unrelated, I'm graduating college, but I'm only 20 years old. Do you think my age will seriously harm my prospects?

kamaboko
August 15th, 2010, 12:57 AM
The only times I was asked for copies of diploma's was when I worked out of the country (that being the US). I wouldn't put too much thought into this. Even your transcript should say something about the degree earned. Tell hiring managers you'll provide a transcript if asked, otherwise I wouldn't say anything.

murderslastcrow
August 15th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Trust me, your age will only help your prospects. While some companies may think you don't have enough job experience yet, they would've thought that if you were 25, too. Better to get some lower level jobs at first and work up to that dream job than to simply wait it out until you have an impressive neckbeard.

But, regardless of your grades, which are still very important, experience and communication skills will be the largest incentives for someone to hire you. If you've proven you can work well with other people in a previous job, and that you are proficient in your trade, then you are much more likely to be hired.

That said, you don't necessarily have to aim low for jobs. In fact, if you snag a really good job first, even if you don't do too well, it can increase your reputation with other employers who may want you in the future. Just don't set yourself up for disappointment by ruling out other options.

I really hope number one works out for you, I'm not really aware of any official employment standards that regard to people with completed coursework but no degree. I figure the degree would be more impressive in December than the extra seconds spent explaining why you don't have the degree, but fill the requirements. It'll probably get some people to double-take for a moment, as is natural.

Either way, I wish you the best. Economists don't seem to be getting any less important these days. Just remember not to let your curriculum overcome your common sense, and see outside of what you learned as you grasp the fundamentals.

phrostbyte
August 15th, 2010, 01:52 AM
It's the courses and grades you take that matter, not your name printed on a piece of paper. I highly doubt anyone will care that you didn't officially graduate yet.

drawkcab
August 15th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Get a lawyer on that. It's amazing how a letter or call for an attorney will straighten that crap out post haste.

Yes, your age is a liability. If you're grades are good, go grab a Master's or Law degree because you probably can get it paid for.

Paqman
August 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM
If you've completed the coursework, put the qualification on your CV. All your qualifications do is get you the interview, once you're being interviewed, it's your skills, experience and attitude that matter. Since you're a new graduate, you're not expected to have much of the first two, so it's largely about attitude.

As long as you have a document to back up the fact that you've actually completed the work, I can't see how having your formal graduation deferred would be an issue in an interview. It would only be a problem if you weren't able to back up the quals you claim you have on paper.

Your age is not an issue. Graduate jobs are supposed to be filled by young 'uns. Nobody cares about the difference between 20 and 22, because there isn't any.

venator260
August 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM
About the age...

at least in the US, it;s illegal to discriminate based on age. So your employer shouldn't know your age until after you're hired. They'll be able to see that you're young, but you're a fresh grad, so they'll probably assume that you're 22, even though you're not.

CharlesA
August 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I've never been asked to show a diploma or anything of that sort. Not even my certifcations. *shrugs*

You should be fine.

Warpnow
August 16th, 2010, 02:45 AM
About the age...

at least in the US, it;s illegal to discriminate based on age. So your employer shouldn't know your age until after you're hired. They'll be able to see that you're young, but you're a fresh grad, so they'll probably assume that you're 22, even though you're not.

Actually, its only illegal to discriminate on age if you're over 40. I just clepped Business Law and it was a question. :-p

aysiu
August 16th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I've never been asked to show a diploma or anything of that sort. Not even my certifcations. *shrugs*

You should be fine.
Same here. I've had two part-time jobs, and three full-time jobs. Never had to produce a physical diploma for any of them. Generally speaking, employers tend to take your word for it that you earned such-and-such degree unless they have some reason to believe you're lying. And, frankly, if they believe you're lying, they won't hire you in the first place.

venator260
August 16th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Actually, its only illegal to discriminate on age if you're over 40. I just clepped Business Law and it was a question. :-p

I stand corrected then. I had the (dis)pleasure of teaching a job readiness course a few weeks ago in connection with my job. This was one of the things they said. However, in seeing some of the other things they said, I've no problem thinking that the curriculum writers were wrong on this one.