PDA

View Full Version : we are ambassadors

viper250
August 14th, 2010, 11:05 PM
please set up a sticky reminding people that as forum users they are unofficial ambassadors and must be careful of what they say even in jokes.
we are trying to let others see through our eyes and crude jokes about another s country and cultures damage the very reason the forums exist:(
on a welcome page perhaps?

Bachstelze
August 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Speak for yourself. I'm not an ambassador of anything. Or if I am, I want my luxury car and diplomatic immunity.

fatality_uk
August 14th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Speak for yourself. I'm not an ambassador of anything. Or if I am, I want my luxury car and diplomatic immunity.

Bach, did you not pick up your keys when you signed up?? :D

To the OP. If you found a post offensive, please use the report abuse button.

Phrea
August 14th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Isn't this whole community one big 'ambassador'?

Edit for my fatality_uk friend, you got the picture wrong, it's this picture: http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/report.gif.
You posted a picture of a car ! ;)

fatality_uk
August 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Isn't this whole community one big 'ambassador'?

Edit for my fatality_uk friend, you got the picture wrong, it's this picture: http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/report.gif.
You posted a picture of a car ! ;)

Hi Phrea, the photo was of the ambassadorial cars for UF staff I hear re Bachstelze's post :D :D

murderslastcrow
August 15th, 2010, 12:31 AM
The code of conduct is there for a reason. So long as we follow that, things should be fine. Report a message if it's going against those rules.

However, we want to be careful not to restrict the freedom of the users of this forum. So long as the jokes are in good taste, people are entitled to their opinions.

viper250
August 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM
the reasoning for this post was of inappropriate jokes and comments made on a different linux forum site
I did report the abuse but one of the abusers was a moderator
I have always advocated that people think carefully about how they post and follow the code of ethics of the forums

I canceled my account with them
it is my intention to bring to light different hardware issues and methods to solve them
having in excess of 35 years experience in computer technology
not to be abused by others for my country or culture ( I face enough of that every day)

Dustin2128
August 15th, 2010, 12:53 AM
the reasoning for this post was of inappropriate jokes and comments made on a different linux forum site
I did report the abuse but one of the abusers was a moderator
I have always advocated that people think carefully about how they post and follow the code of ethics of the forums

I canceled my account with them
it is my intention to bring to light different hardware issues and methods to solve them
having in excess of 35 years experience in computer technology
not to be abused by others for my country or culture ( I face enough of that every day)
If its on a different site, why are you posting here? The ubuntu community is, in my opinion, one of the nicest linux communities there is. To quote kiwi: 'remember, 99% of members are awesome'.

viper250
August 15th, 2010, 01:11 AM
in my opinion, one of the nicest linux communities there is.

I agree

its just that sometimes reminders are needed for people to remember to (play nice)
it does us no good at all to offend others.

murderslastcrow
August 15th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Yeah, a few bad eggs in the OS X, Windows, Volvo, Audi, motorcyclist, and vegetarian camps have all given them a bad taste. XD But really, there's always gonna' be someone who says that wrong thing when you get this many people together. I just hope that people see this forum and see the true face of open source users, not the extremist biggots.

For too long we've been unfairly characterized as elitist, geeky, and spiteful towards newcomers. I don't think this is at all true anymore, if it ever was (I've only been here for two years or so, but I hear horror stories XD).

Thanks for reminding us all to be on our best behavior. I'm glad that Ubuntu's widespread use and collective image has shone a bit on the other people in the larger open source community.