PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Linux, Anybody???

jason.b.c
April 5th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I downloaded a cool little floppy disk sized linux distro called Pocket Linux just to see whats it's like. Now on there website they recommend that you use something like Rawrite to copy the image file to a 1.44mb floppy disk, the only thing is i can't figure out why when i type in the name of the image in rawrite it fails to work.

Now i've used rawrite before successfully, and i know how to use it, I just don't understand why it won't work on this particular image file.

Here is the name of the image-> image-2.51-fix-4.bin

Thats exactly how it looks.! So as far as i understand thats how your supposed to type it in rawrite.:mad:

I've tried Rawrite.exe and Rawrite2.exe neither one works.?:confused:

Could someone please help me understand what i'm doing wrong.?:(

image-2.51-fix-4.bin is the latest version as far as i can tell.

John.Michael.Kane
April 5th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Removed Since It Was Not Needed!!!!!!!

LKRaider
April 5th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Try doing it from Linux using dd, like this:

dd if=<image file> of=/dev/fd0

jason.b.c
April 5th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Try doing it from Linux using dd, like this:

dd if=<image file> of=/dev/fd0

Oh i'm sorry, i'm not in Ubuntu right now.

I need to know how can i from windows.???

jason.b.c
April 12th, 2006, 03:08 AM
:D Well thats cool, I got it to work, It's really kinda useless though but i just wanted something else to mess around with.:)

But now i've downloaded another one called Minix 3 os another linux distro. I burn't it successfully to a CD-RW and it boots up into the options screen if i leave the disk in my cd drive but i don't understand how to get it to startup.:confused: It asks how i want to login so i type Root and press enter then i'm asked for a login name, i type my name, enter, then i'm asked for password but i can't type anything it wont let me.](*,) :mad:

Any idea's????:confused:

:cool: Here's where i found it:> www.minix3.org

erikpiper
April 12th, 2006, 03:11 AM
jason.b.c- this little bit of trivia might help you- in a linux terminal when a password is being entered, nothing will show up. Than way, nobody can see how long it is. Yes it being entered.

jason.b.c
April 12th, 2006, 03:18 AM
jason.b.c- this little bit of trivia might help you- in a linux terminal when a password is being entered, nothing will show up. Than way, nobody can see how long it is. Yes it being entered.

Oh Yea, hhhmmm, Well then why is it then after i type in the password and press enter nothing happens?? I mean the same words just pop up again and i have to start all over again.!:mad: Why is that?? Please explain.:)

jason.b.c
April 12th, 2006, 08:17 AM
*Bump*:(

briancurtin
April 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Oh Yea, hhhmmm, Well then why is it then after i type in the password and press enter nothing happens?? I mean the same words just pop up again and i have to start all over again.!:mad: Why is that?? Please explain.:)
caps lock?
num lock?
correct password?
etc...

jason.b.c
April 13th, 2006, 04:34 AM
caps lock?
num lock?
correct password?
etc...

:mad: Well crap, I give up then on this. No matter what i try nothing seems to work.!:( :mad:

Maybe it's busted.:confused:

3rdalbum
April 13th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Actually, Minix is Unix; not Linux. (Minix has been around longer than Linux... it was reportedly the reason why Linus started writing a kernel!)