PDA

View Full Version : Virtual tty's

Austin25
August 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Just wondering: Who else uses them? I just found out about them recently, but how common of knowledge is it?

nrs
August 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I didn't know it was possible to use GNU/Linux and not be aware of their existence.

Austin25
August 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Well I use it now to keep my brother of of my desktop that has a live environment. He doesn't know the command line.

Bachstelze
August 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I didn't know it was possible to use GNU/Linux and not be aware of their existence.

It is, but those who do don't call it GNU/Linux.

Austin25
August 14th, 2010, 08:39 PM
removed, don't want to start a flamewar.

Zorgoth
August 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I used to use them. Then I found out about screen. Particularly combined with guake, I don't really need them anymore. Also, they strike me as insecure. There is no easy way to make it so that a virtual tty will time out if a program like emacs is running inside of it, so if you left your computer on for a day, anyone could switch to that tty and have a user session as you...

Bachstelze
August 14th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Also, they strike me as insecure. There is no easy way to make it so that a virtual tty will time out if a program like emacs is running inside of it, so if you left your computer on for a day, anyone could switch to that tty and have a user session as you...

How is that different from leaving your X session open?

Zorgoth
August 14th, 2010, 09:30 PM
My X session will lock and require my password after 30 minutes. My ttys will not (well, they can if they aren't doing anything, but then why am I using them anyway). You have to remember each time to manually log out of a tty if you want it to be secure.

Spike-X
August 15th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I much prefer real tty's. Fake ones just don't do it for me.

Bachstelze
August 15th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I much prefer real tty's. Fake ones just don't do it for me.

Define "real tty's"?

Legendary_Bibo
August 15th, 2010, 04:14 AM
what does tty mean? I've seen it when I have to press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to deal with some things not responding.

Bachstelze
August 15th, 2010, 04:19 AM
what does tty mean? I've seen it when I have to press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to deal with some things not responding.

tty stands for "teletype". The name dates back to the early days of computing when computers had no monitor and the results of computations were printed on paper. Some examples here: http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/teletype.html

Nowadays, it can mean a lot of things depending on what the person who speaks thinks it means, but strictly speaking, it can be anything that emulates such a device, ranging from an xterm to a serial VT100-like terminal (with a keyboard and a screen).

Legendary_Bibo
August 15th, 2010, 04:24 AM
tty sands for "teletype". The name dates back to the early days of computing when computers had no monitor and the results of computations were printed on paper. Some examples here: http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/teletype.html

Nowadays, it can mean a lot of things depending on what the person who speaks thinks it means, but strictly speaking, it can be anything that emulates such a device, ranging from an xterm to a serial VT100-like terminal (with a keyboard and a screen).

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I googled it and I only got things related to cell phones.

I like putting my screen into that mode when I'm working on something that I don't want people to see (i.e. my brother), and I just put in random system information commands. I could lock my screen, but deterring them away with something they don't understand is more of an effective investment.

cariboo
August 15th, 2010, 04:46 AM
tty stands for "teletype". The name dates back to the early days of computing when computers had no monitor and the results of computations were printed on paper. Some examples here: http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/teletype.html

Actually, teletypes were used for sending text messages back and forth between offices. You usually typed up the message, the keystrokes were stored in a buffer, then you dialed the teletype number (which were different from normal phone numbers) of the office you were sending the message to, then pressed send.

I worked for a company that still used teletypes, the operators were sort of the geeks of the day.

Just as an aside, my job title at the time was elevator operator. :)

murderslastcrow
August 15th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Haha, interesting to see that texting was around so long ago, and as a primary use of something I use to install encrypted DVD playback.

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Cool, quite a bit of history in some thing running on my, well chest right now.

Bachstelze
August 15th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Actually, teletypes were used for sending text messages back and forth between offices. You usually typed up the message, the keystrokes were stored in a buffer, then you dialed the teletype number (which were different from normal phone numbers) of the office you were sending the message to, then pressed send.

True, but that dates back from before computers were invented. Then, when computers appeared, teletypes were the "standard" user i/o interface (the teletype was wired directly to the computer, not to the "phone" network).

Windows Nerd
August 15th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Well I use it now to keep my brother of of my desktop that has a live environment. He doesn't know the command line.
This. And to kill processes that have messed X up, or made the mouse unable to close the window, ect.

ssam
August 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM
do you remember the days when you would log in to a virtual terminal and the run startx.

linux18
August 15th, 2010, 06:28 PM
do you remember the days when you would log in to a virtual terminal and the run startx.
I still do

anyway, tty's are great if you on a command line system

cariboo
August 15th, 2010, 07:53 PM
True, but that dates back from before computers were invented. Then, when computers appeared, teletypes were the "standard" user i/o interface (the teletype was wired directly to the computer, not to the "phone" network).

I know you're young, but computers were invented and in use before the early 70's. :)

As another aside. I did my practicum with a company that specialized in servicing printers, the majority of the printers we serviced were DEC LA-120's (http://www.recycledgoods.com/products/DEC-LA120-DA-DECwriter-III-DECprinter-III-Terminal-Printer.html) which was basically still a teletype, this was in the late 80's.

koenn
August 15th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I know you're young, but computers were invented and in use before the early 70's. :).

yes, but they did batch processing.
hooking up a teletype to a computer allowed for interactive use, and started of computing as we now it today.

otoh, if you have actually seen telex being used, you must be old
:)

jpkotta
August 17th, 2010, 01:44 AM
The TTY demystified (http://www.linusakesson.net/programming/tty/index.php)

toupeiro
August 17th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Must this community clamour to elitism so much as to have to nit-pick tty, ttyS# pts or whatever you use? It's a line out. who cares if it hits a printer, a real VT220, a Wyseterm, or an ip-based dongle encrypted, aggregated, routed, and ACL'ed 2-factor. Seriously, who cares. :lolflag:

TTY's on most commodity systems are typically just an out-of-band option for connectivity this day and age, when your LAN interface drops. Nothing to see here. 9600 8,N,1

Bachstelze
August 17th, 2010, 05:05 AM
9600 8,N,1

Speak for yourself. 4800 7,E,1 is how I roll.

cariboo
August 17th, 2010, 06:03 AM
yes, but they did batch processing.
hooking up a teletype to a computer allowed for interactive use, and started of computing as we now it today.

otoh, if you have actually seen telex being used, you must be old

Yes I did see teletypes in use, while I was working for the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company. :)

koenn
August 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Yes I did see teletypes in use, while I was working for the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company. :)

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Must this community clamour to elitism so much as to have to nit-pick tty, ttyS# pts or whatever you use? It's a line out. who cares if it hits a printer, a real VT220, a Wyseterm, or an ip-based dongle encrypted, aggregated, routed, and ACL'ed 2-factor. Seriously, who cares. :lolflag:

TTY's on most commodity systems are typically just an out-of-band option for connectivity this day and age, when your LAN interface drops. Nothing to see here. 9600 8,N,1
Actually, I only started the thread to see if people used the this or terminal emulators like xterm or gnome-terminal.

cariboo
August 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM
To get back on topic, I use both, virtual TTYs and gnome-terminal, depending on what I have to do, and which computer I'm working. I have 2 systems that are cli only, a server and a G3 running debian stable for playing mp3's, I also use screen on this system.

toupeiro
August 22nd, 2010, 07:35 PM
Speak for yourself. 4800 7,E,1 is how I roll.

lol do you REQUIRE 7E1?! what old fossil are you connected to? :P I never see 7,E,1 used anymore. Last time was some old Data General serial printers...