PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with install

ghost leviathan
August 14th, 2010, 07:39 PM
i recently installed 10.04 on my old laptop and keeps going to black screen. i changed the nomodeset at the install screen and can run from cd just fine but when i go to install it dose its thing then on restart in goes back to black any info would help i am really new to linux and laymen terms would help alot

Rubi1200
August 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
What graphics card do you have installed?
How much RAM does the system have?

Also, take a look here:
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/

If something is not clear, ask.

ghost leviathan
August 14th, 2010, 08:19 PM
not sure on the graphics card but 512 ram. i used the 1915.modeset=1 on the try before install and it works but after that i get a grub out of disk error

Rubi1200
August 14th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Try booting the computer and when you get to the GRUB menu press e to edit the entry.

If you do not see a GRUB menu try hitting Shift a few times after the BIOS screen.

Using the cursor find the line that ends with
ro quiet splash

Remove quiet splash and add the i915.modeset=1 parameter. Then Ctrl + x to boot.

If you get in, post back here and we will try and walk you through making this more permanent.

ghost leviathan
August 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
now it wont work at all gunna start over i am at the ubuntu install screen right now can we start from there

Rubi1200
August 14th, 2010, 08:43 PM
You are attempting to reinstall now?

Ok, just proceed with the install and when you restart the computer follow what I suggested in the previous post about editing GRUB at boot time.

But, to make sure you enter the right parameter, we really need to know what graphics card you have.

So, when Ubuntu is installed, before you restart, go to the terminal (Applications > Accessories) and post the results of this:

lspci | grep VGA

ghost leviathan
August 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Ok i am doing try without install and putting the i915.modeset=1 in the boot option box thats the only way i can get to the desktop

Rubi1200
August 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Ok i am doing try without install and putting the i915.modeset=1 in the boot option box thats the only way i can get to the desktop
Ok, if it works and you get to the desktop then post the results of the code I mentioned in the previous post please.

ghost leviathan
August 14th, 2010, 08:55 PM
intel 82852/855gm integrated graphics device

Rubi1200
August 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
intel 82852/855gm integrated graphics device
Ok, I suspected it might be something like that.

If Ubuntu is now installed successfully, you can restart the computer and follow what I already posted:

Try booting the computer and when you get to the GRUB menu press e to edit the entry.

If you do not see a GRUB menu try hitting Shift a few times after the BIOS screen.

Using the cursor find the line that ends with Code:
ro quiet splash
Remove quiet splash and add the i915.modeset=1 parameter. Then Ctrl + x to boot.

Then, once you are back in Ubuntu, take a look here for more permanent fixes/workarounds:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

Read the link carefully, but if I am not mistaken you need to apply Workaround F.

I hope this helps and good luck!

:)

ghost leviathan
August 14th, 2010, 09:45 PM
alright i just installed havent rebooted yet what next?

Rubi1200
August 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM
See my previous post :)

You can boot the computer and set the i915.modeset=1 parameter in GRUB; that will get you back to the desktop again.

Then read and apply, where relevant, one of the workarounds in the link I posted.

ghost leviathan
August 15th, 2010, 12:15 AM
i get this
error:out of disk
grub rescue>

Rubi1200
August 15th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Ok, a bit of searching has come up with a couple of possibilities:

1. BIOS needs to be updated

2. See the information here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Rescue%20Mode

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience working with GRUB in rescue mode and would not be the right person to advise you on how to proceed from here.

I hope one of the more experienced forum members will see this and post some suggestions.

Hang in there!

This can be fixed; it just might take a little more time and effort.

ghost leviathan
August 15th, 2010, 02:17 AM
thanks for all the help i have been searching and cant find anything on this grub rescue but like i said thanks again for helping me get this far