PDA

View Full Version : the right path

slashwannabe94
August 14th, 2010, 06:34 PM
hello everyone, i have been interested in computers ever since i can remember, i love the freedom and power that comes with knowledge, but recently the person who started my interest has told me to switch to windows 7, which is the better path..... he says i cannot be successful with linux and will never get anywhere. i understand linux is far stronger, but i dont know where to go or what to study to get better. i need someone to guide me in the right path.

TheNerdAL
August 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
They are wrong about Linux. :P Look at Android phones! They are huge!

bug67
August 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
"...but recently the person who started my interest has told me to switch to windows 7, which is the better path..... he says i cannot be successful with linux and will never get anywhere..."

Let us know how they feel when they are crippled by any number of baddies to be had by Windows just by launching a browser.

Freedom? Linux has that in spades!

i dont know where to go or what to study to get better. i need someone to guide me in the right path

These here forums are an excellent resource. The folks here are all to glad to help out.

Also, If you are into reading physical print:

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

http://distrowatch.tradepub.com/free/w_ubun01/

Also check out Ubuntu User and Full Circle Magazine (http://www.ubuntu-user.com/)

A couple of my favorite "tips & tricks" sites:

http://www.psychocats.net/

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/

And, of course the requisite, "google is your friend." :P

Good luck and have fun!

cariboo
August 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
There is no right path when it comes to computers. What works for me, may not work for you, so I would never recommend you do what I do.

I would suggest you try things yourself instead of relying on recommendations from others, that way you can find what works best for you.

Paqman
August 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM
It's not an either/or situation. Just because you use Linux, doesn't mean you can't use Windows too. Being good with both is probably the best idea.

Dustin2128
August 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM
having used both frequently, I must say that windows 7 is, as usual, far inferior to linux. If you install it, you no longer have real ownership over your computer. (http://en.windows7sins.org/) As for linux, though you may not have mainstream applications, I've been able to do 10^9 more things with my computer than when I ran windows. If you do have this one killer app that you can't live without though, crossover does the job quite nicely.

Austin25
August 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
To quote Alice in Wonderland, “If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”

drawkcab
August 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
It's not an either/or situation. Just because you use Linux, doesn't mean you can't use Windows too. Being good with both is probably the best idea.

This person speaks wisely. ^^^

Also, the person who triggered your interest ultimately no right or authority to tell you what to do.

murderslastcrow
August 14th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I make a lot of money using open source software. I'm a Multimedia Designer, but since I don't require Adobe applications (and I can always save multi-layered textures/designs in PSD format) I'm more productive than I was on Windows.

If you need Adobe products for some reason, (outside of Photoshop, which works well in Wine) then your friend might be right, for now.

Other than that, I'd like to see what you can do in Windows that will get you any further than what you can do in Linux. Your friend seems to be a bit biased and unrealistic. If Linux fits your needs, then the only thing you can compare between Linux and Windows is the OS itself. And if you're going to do that, Windows will never win, since on its own, without extra software, it's a sad excuse for an OS.

I'm not afraid to say that, since Windows users are well aware of this, and constantly complain to me about it. Especially Windows users who have used OS X or Linux at one point- they just hate having to go back to it.

This isn't everyone, I'm sure, just everyone I know who uses Windows.

But really, you should listen to your friends, since sometimes they understand your situation better than you think they do. But you shouldn't trust just one person's opinion, especially if they're being unduly negative. Examine the situation, the pros and cons, and determine for yourself what's best for you.

And always remember, it's not that big of a deal! You can use Windows AND Linux. And if there's ever a time you need Windows, nothing's keeping you from using another computer temporarily, or buying Windows and using it on occasion. There's no shame in that- for now, most of us still rely on some piece of closed software, like Flash, Skype, or software in Wine, even in this community.

Just get as much open source as you can without it becoming a huge burden. There's really no reason you should have to choose between Windows and Ubuntu except at boot time. And I'm not saying you should dual-boot if it's not necessary, just reminding you that you have options, and you don't have to worry about this separation anxiety.

Frogs Hair
August 14th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I use Ubuntu and Windows 7 at home and XP at school . At work and school I use the tools provided. Using W7 does not prevent me from learning Linux and vise, versa.

Cam!
August 14th, 2010, 11:34 PM
The only advantage Windows has over Linux is the abundance of apps.

Paqman
August 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Generally speaking, no one will hire you because you are familiar with an OS, it's expertise in actual apps that will count. In some jobs knowledge of certain software suites is essential, the platform that they run on is subordinate to that. Whether that platform is OS X, Windows or Linux really depends on what kind of job you're going for.

HermanAB
August 15th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hmm, you really got to know them all...

Linux runs on anything from cell phones to super computers, so it is a much wider field of study and once you really know Linux, you'll know enough about Windows too.

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hmm, you really got to know them all...

Linux runs on anything from cell phones to super computers, so it is a much wider field of study and once you really know Linux, you'll know enough about Windows too.
Yes, everbody knows Windows; if a company wants to hire someone who knows a lot about Windows, they don't have to go to far. If they want someone who knows just about every system out there. (Most are Either DOS or Unix varients, and by Knowing both Windows and Linux, you know quite a bit about both.) So I say learn both, but use Linux cause it's more awesome. :D

slashwannabe94
August 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys, your all a great help. i love computers and i love linux. one day my hard *** studying will have paid off :D LINUX FOR LIFE MY FELLOW CODERS