PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installer not working using a live CD

LtKD118
August 14th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble installing Ubuntu 10.04 on my system. When I boot into the installer my screen just goes blank. I've tried a number of things to resolve the issue (tried using xforcevesa, reburning the cd etc) and none of these worked. Looking around on the forums, it would appear that my video card (HD 5770) has little support and I tried all the suggestions I found concerning my card. Could this be it? I don't have another graphics card so changing it isn't an option. Is there anyway I could install Ubuntu?

Specs:
HD 5770
4GB RAM
i5 750
MSI P55 GD65
1x1.5TB HDD (Where I want to install Ubuntu)
1x320GB HDD (Where Windows 7 is installed)

David52
August 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hye bud, I just did the install over the net. Use this link for the desktop
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

download it this way and it worked fine for me. It set me up for duel boot and I have access to xp or Ubuntu Desktop. It will reboot, then it will ask which system you want to boot up. I am new by a month but it works ok. Let me know if I am wrong:)

LtKD118
August 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hye bud, I just did the install over the net. Use this link for the desktop
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

download it this way and it worked fine for me. It set me up for duel boot and I have access to xp or Ubuntu Desktop. It will reboot, then it will ask which system you want to boot up. I am new by a month but it works ok. Let me know if I am wrong:)
Are you talking about installing it over the internet or the alternate installer? I can find the link to the alternate installer but not the net installer.

ScottieMUNCHER
October 28th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Having the same problem with the same card.
currently running 8.04 witch seems to run ok. apart from the fact that the system cant find the card.
most features still work except for desktop effects.
so if ur looking to get started in ubuntu maybe try 8.04 untill we figure out how to make the card work?