PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will upgrading through Update Manager delete my files?

wilwil0
August 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I want to upgrade to 10.04 and I'm using Update Manager by clicking the Upgrade button at the top.

Will this delete programs (from the software centre) and files (from the my documents anf my pictures folders)?

viralmeme
August 14th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I want to upgrade to 10.04 .. Will this delete programs (from the software centre)

No, it will replace some with later versions, but upgrading may break something, if you have customized the installation to any great extent.

and files (from the my documents anf my pictures folders)?

No, but to be on the safe side make a backup copy of your /home folder

wilwil0
August 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Will it delete settings, bookmarks and last closed tabs in my internet browser for example?

Spice Weasel
August 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM
All it will do is upgrade the system, but there are chances that something may go wrong during the upgrade.

nixon.white
August 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM
No, settings, bookmarks and last closed tabs in your internet browser keeps in you /home directory, so upgrade doesn't touch them.

KdotJ
August 14th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Be warned though, usually when upgrading to the next distro (as opposed to a "Clean install") something will probably break and not work correctly. Your files will be safe however