PDA

View Full Version : Dapper Down: Wireless Nemesis. esp. WEP WEP WEP

neoflight
April 5th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I met atleast 4 people who had problems connecting to the WEP encryption wireless... I (we) have no problem connecting to wireless at school with vpn. But at home WEP, it never works..... So here we have a min of 3 + (me?) convert back to Breezy or XP....this is really sad....

First of all.... the naming.... look at these....

network-manager
network-manager-gnome

i hope the developers to come up with different naming system to properly identify..... because when people discuss them they just use network-manager...or simply NM.... confusing????

i think its high time to adopt a decent naming system....atleast .."network-tool"...
"network-control" something like that...

honestly, despite having hanging around in this forum for many many hours i am still confused what each thing does...

then comes the nm-applet...which to show-up in the panel requires to have all the instances of wireless be removed from the /etc/network/interfaces file... retain only the wired info there.... and pls note: nm-applet can do wired too....but how to
set up the ip, gateway, subnet, dns etc is unknown to me as with many others..

then asks myself.....why do we need /etc/network/interfaces file in the first place?

Another thing is the gnome-keyring-manager.... i dont know how it works... well..i know... sort of....i have that installed...but whats the use? i never found a keyring in there... several people complained that they are asked for keyring paswrods repeatedly...i have not been asked once!!!

i spend more than two weeks trying to figure out [from dapper 5, and now 6]...reinstalled NM and NM-gnome many many times...and nm-applet and wpa supplicant and even dapper fresh installs (atleast 7 times since dapper fl-6 release) for that matter......

what else....even the converts (oh yea....i forgot to tell you...i converted 4 people to ubuntu from FC, suse, RH and XP) started switching back... i cannot help them before i could help myself...

i will wait for some more days....

feeling really bad....