PDA

View Full Version : internet/wireless problems

re2851
August 14th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Need some help for something really related to linux here.

The scenario is that I have an office where i have 2 desktops (no wireless cards), an xbox 360 and an xbox. I have comcast cable internet. the modem connects to a router with 4 ports which connects all the name above wired.

My living room is on the floor below my office on the other side of the house, with a tv with cable.

The problem is that i want to move the 360 downstairs because the tv is bigger and bigger is better in that case, and lets face it the couch is more comfortable than the computer chair. I'm not paying 100 dollars for the wireless adapter but i still want to be able to connect to xbox live. If i move the modem downstairs then none of the computers upstairs will have internet or the xbox upstairs, that doesn't really help.

So aside from running an ethernet cable the whole way across my house and down a floor, and without spending 100 dollars, how can i get wireless downstairs to the xbox 360. I've been suggested to get a bridge or a wireless access point. I reasearched that a bit but i'm still not really sure how that works or what the difference is or what to do. So any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance

Khakilang
August 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Get a wireless wifi modem router with 4 ethernet port and for the computer you can use USB wifi adapter for each computer nad it is cheaper than the wireless PCI card. But I don't know whether the Xbox can be configure to use USB wifi adapter. If not connect the wireless wifi modem router with Xbox ethernet to the router and the computer use UBS wifi adapter. For Ubuntu the USB wireless adapter works out of the box for me. Whatever you do its still cost money. Try it out and let us know.