PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Linux Mint

jcolyn
August 14th, 2010, 04:39 AM
After downloading and installing Linux Mint with Gnome to a spare hard drive and playing with it for a couple of hours I have come to the conclusion that Mint got it right when compared to Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu I have to uninstall packages and install others to get it working right but Mint with the exception of Samba works and is configured the way it should be out of the box.

Totem does not work for playing QT and Windows media so I have to uninstall it in Ubuntu but Mint installs Gecko, W32codecs, and dvdcss2, which does work without any changes.

I only have to download Samba and edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf file to enable sharing between my Desktop and Laptops.

Ubuntu with Gnome kills my sound each time I update which requires that I shut down for a few seconds then I get it back till the next update but not with Mint..

Anybody else notice this also?? :)

elliotn
August 14th, 2010, 04:46 AM
We know that Mint ships with the extras, your ubuntu exprience and my ubuntu exprience may be different, just like all ubuntu customized flavours they ship with extra stuff. But ubuntu is ubuntu